Trusted Contributor

Re: All roads lead to Panera Bread

To @DearPrudence and other Chicagoans:  when I visited a few decades ago, I went to a wonderful deli (I think in Skokie) called Kaufman’s. Best pastrami and oh, though onion bagels! 

Valued Contributor

On Sunday morning, when my local bakeries are closed, I will go to Panera's to choose a loaf of their fantastic bread or an assortment of pastries (bear claws, cherry danish and muffins). I find the Panera's in my neighborhood offers good bakery products. 

I like the black bean and the Autumn Squash soup. Sometimes I get a craving for their Caesar Salad dressing. It is so bright and lemony.  

I am not a fan of their mac and cheese (tasteless) and I find the sandwiches often have the appearance of being "slapped together".

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Respected Contributor

No thanks.  I went once with two friends years ago.  One ordered a salad.  When it came it was full of dirt , grit and bits of other who knows what.   She took it to the manager who said 'oh, we changed our produce supplier'.   That was it.  No apology, no what else can I get you, no nothing.   Plus, when the check came she was charged for it.   I forget what I had but it was nothing to write home about.  I haven't been back.

Honored Contributor

@DearPrudencewrote:

This morning I decided that for dinner I would go to Buona Beef and get a cheesy beef sandwich, with hot and sweet peppers. When the time came to leave, I decided that I would go to the ATM while I was out.  My bank only has two ATM locations in my area, and one of them is out of order about half the time. That is the bank near Buona Beef.

So I decided to go to the other ATM which is conveniently located down the street from Panera Bread. I ended up at Panera.. No beef sandwich AGAIN.  I have done this so many times, why do I pretend to myself that I'm not going to go to Panera? I need a twelve step program for this addiction.

@DearPrudence

There's a Panera in the same shopping center as one of my grocery stores.   Never been in Panera.   Just don't go in.