Esteemed Contributor

Re: All Movie theaters have fecal matter according to The Doctors.

@DiAnne wrote:

This is a timely subject.  I am going to the movies and out to dinner this evening.  I love seeing movies in the theater instead of on a TV at home.  So I am going to get contaminated by the arm rest, the menu in the restaurant and I will probably make a trip to the rest room at some time.  Wish me luck! LOL

I'm so glad to see a thread like this isn't getting people to hide in a bubble.   Enjoy your evening, germs & all!!! Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

Also makes you wonder about gym mats. The facility here lets toddlers play with the gym's mats and inflatable pilates balls. I could see where they might spread those types of germs, as well.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor

Our fighting men and women were wondering about the risk of getting sick from breathing fecal bacteria and it prompted this study.

Fecal Matter in the Air – What do we know?

March 2004 A Collaborative Effort of USACHPPM and AFIOH

https://phc.amedd.army.mil/PHC%20Resource%20Library/AIR%20QUALITY%20-%20FECAL%20MATTER%20FINAL%20Mar...

An excerpt:

Can coming into contact with fecal matter make me sick?

The most likely way to become ill from stool is if you swallow it. This most commonly happens when people accidentally touch fresh stool, and then handle food that they are eating or put their fingers in or around their mouth. Illness-causing organisms from stool can enter water supplies and be swallowed.

Disease can also spread directly from one ill person to another (e.g. through contact with dirty hands). Fresh stool is wet and heavy and is unlikely to become airborne and breathed in, unless it is done purposefully (e.g. sprayed). Older, dried or drying stool can become airborne because of wind, by intentionally mixing it in order to help it dry or turn into compost, or even by spraying it on fields for fertilizer (as “sludge”). However, as stool gets older and dries, any illness-causing organisms immediately begin to die.

Illness-causing organisms in stool die even more rapidly when they are made airborne, because they are more vulnerable to heat, the rays of sunlight, and low humidity. 

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@truffle wrote:

I would just like to know how it gets out of your house and onto most seats and armrests in a theater plus in a dressing room at a department store.  One would think the fecal matter had legs and just walked in.  

@truffle

It's usually from people not washing and not washing well after going.

Hand contamination.

Who handles their poop?   

@Tinkrbl44

No one said anyone handled it.

OMG I cannot believe you need someone to explain this to you.

@Noel7

No explanation needed Noel ....  I was trying to make a joke here .... a little levity ..... sorry you didn't get it.  

Honored Contributor

I saw a funny sign recently that said: Wash your hands and say your prayers cause Jesus  and germs are everywhere. 

Had to share about it due to the subject matter on this thead lol.

Honored Contributor

no theater 4 me since premear of movie "Midway"

hnj

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

I saw a funny sign recently that said: Wash your hands and say your prayers cause Jesus  and germs are everywhere. 

@colliemom4

I was SO tempted to post that but figured someone would take offense, lol. They sell that on those wood boxes that look like chalkboards, I was tempted to get one.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

@colliemom4

I was SO tempted to post that but figured someone would take offense, lol. They sell that on those wood boxes that look like chalkboards, I was tempted to get one.

@Noel7  I've only seen it once. I like your teapot.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

no theater 4 me since premear of movie "Midway"

hnj

I never go either. It hurts my ears so much. 

Honored Contributor

One of my friends used to travel with a huge can of Lysol after she watched a special about germs in hotels. I really think there are germs just about everywhere. How can you totally get away from them? It's gross to think about, but I guess we all do the best we can.