Honored Contributor

All 50 States Ranked For Retirement, From Worst to Best

This article from Business Insider contains some surprises. Included in the top ten states to retire are some with the worst climates.

Here's the link:

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-places-to-retire-in-us-ranked-2018-2

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Re: All 50 States Ranked For Retirement, From Worst to Best

Washington does not rank well. I can understand with the cost of living here so high, but I love it here and love the climate. So I put up with the outrageous living expenses.

Honored Contributor

I take these articles with a grain of salt.  Deciding on where to retire is entirely an individual decision and what is most important to the person:  climate?  taxes? low cost of living?  No place is perfect and there will be tradeoffs.  What is great for some people is a forget about it for others.  The best way to decide is to narrow it down to possibilities and spend as much time there as possible before making a decision.  

Honored Contributor

472429764_650421.gif

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks, @handygal2, for sharing.  I agree that all three factors (affordability, quality of life, and health care) are important to consider when considering where to live/retire.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Thanks, @handygal2, for sharing.  I agree that all three factors (affordability, quality of life, and health care) are important to consider when considering where to live/retire.

@RedRedHair: For me, climate is biggest factor, although the others are important to consider as well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Colorado is No.2...I live in Colorado Springs and it's nice here but expensive and hard to find a place to live if you decide to come here. Another thing...car insurance rates are some the highest in the nation so if you come here get ready for sticker shock. Also expensive is electronic services, like cell, TV and internet.  The cost of water is expensive here, too. We love the blue skies and beautiful scenery  but they come with a high price.

eta - If you decide to spend your nest egg on that dream ranch in the mountains, on a spread of land that stretches for miles...well you might think twice because our government owns 75% of the land here which means not much left as far as where you could buy the land. 

Honored Contributor

I see nothing useful about this list.  Retire when you want to live.  I don't think I've ever seen a ranking I would disagree more with than this one. 

Honored Contributor

There are so many individual factors in retirement that it's totally impossible for anyone to come up with "best" place to retire.  

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I see nothing useful about this list.  Retire when you want to live.  I don't think I've ever seen a ranking I would disagree more with than this one. 

@Sooner: I disagree with much of it as well, but l thought it would be worthwhile to post it, and that it would make for an interesting discussion here... Woman Happy