Respected Contributor

Re: Alfred Angelo Bridal has closed it's company owned stores

@Carmie wrote:

I wore an Alfred Angelo wedding dress 44 years ago today.  I purchased mine at department store's bridal dept. they did not have company stores back then,

i hope every bride who ordered gets her dress on time.  How sad.

Happy Anniversary!!

Regular Contributor

On the local news here in L. A. one bride said her wedding is in two weeks didn't receive any notice and she hasn't been able to get in touch with anyone hopefully she will, David's bridal has come to the rescue of some and offering discounts on wedding dresses. 

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
Robert Frost

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@KathyPet wrote:

And is rumored to be filing bankruptcy.  A lot of brides are going to be without their dresses!

@KathyPet

Never heard of this company.    Are they regional?   Even if filing for bankruptcy, that doesn't mean the company won't fulfill orders ....  or did you read something to the contrary?    Bridal dresses aren't that hard to come by.   

According to the local news last night, many brides are not getting their dresses. One said that she managed to get hers and will take it to be altered.

The report included a couple of brides in tears and a mother semi-hysterical, if I recall correctly. It is sad, but I bet they survive and end up having the weddings that they want.

Perspective is hard to come by, I guess, when you're in the moment.

@suzyQ3

ITA ........    This story was on the news tonite, and they said they are going to do everything possible to make sure everyone gets their dresses on time.    

Honored Contributor

DD wore a bridesmaid dress from here for a wedding last year. The girls ordered their dresses together. When they came in, DD's was the wrong color. They re-ordered the right color, and the dress came in the day before the wedding. Then they had the NERVE to charge her extra for last minute alterations. The bride was upset and her mom tried to do something, but they wouldn't budge. DD had to pay. 

I'm not surprised they're going out of business. David's is not much better IMO. 

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@KathyPet wrote:

And is rumored to be filing bankruptcy.  A lot of brides are going to be without their dresses!

@KathyPet

Never heard of this company.    Are they regional?   Even if filing for bankruptcy, that doesn't mean the company won't fulfill orders ....  or did you read something to the contrary?    Bridal dresses aren't that hard to come by.   

How right you are.  Bridal dresses are as common as buying a Toyota Camry.  They're a dime a dozen.

Regular Contributor

So sorry to hear this.....I too wore an Alfred Angelo wedding gown in April1979. Ivory with lace bodice and some lace on the sleeves, chiffon skirt. Paid $340 dollars. As the other poster said, they did not own company stores then. My dress purchased at a bridal/formal store.

I hope the ladies who purchase their gown through the company stores will receive either a dress or some kind of compensation. I cannot understand paying thousands of dollars for a gown even in 2017. When I watch Say yes to the dress, I marvel at some of the prices.

But good luck ladies. Remember it is your marriage and you will be lovely in whatever you wear....

Honored Contributor

I had never heard of them either, but just looked it up and see there is one about 30 minutes from me.

Honored Contributor

David's Bridal is offering a 30% discount on all gowns at David's including clearance and sale gowns.  Also offering 20% for bridesmaids dresses.

Fees for alterations are waived for those in a rushed timeframe.  The future brides have until August 14 to bring in their AA receipts to be eligible for this help.

Unfortunately the dresses won't be the same as the ones ordered but do hope that these brides will find something comparable.  What a shame that AA did this.

At least somebody is trying to alleviate the stress for these brides.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@bakergirl wrote:

So sorry to hear this.....I too wore an Alfred Angelo wedding gown in April1979. Ivory with lace bodice and some lace on the sleeves, chiffon skirt. Paid $340 dollars. As the other poster said, they did not own company stores then. My dress purchased at a bridal/formal store.

I hope the ladies who purchase their gown through the company stores will receive either a dress or some kind of compensation. I cannot understand paying thousands of dollars for a gown even in 2017. When I watch Say yes to the dress, I marvel at some of the prices.

But good luck ladies. Remember it is your marriage and you will be lovely in whatever you wear....

@bakergirl

Oh, I know! 

When I hear how much some of these brides are willing to spend, some over $10 THOUSAND dollars (!!!!), my jaw just drops!

I just cannot fathom spending that kind of money on a dress that they are only going to wear once, and only for a few hours at that.

It seems wasteful to me.

Honored Contributor

Since nobody here is paying for any other bride's gown it really is none of our business.

Let them choose the cheapest or the most expensive.  It is a special day.  While I agree the marriage is what matters let's be honest.  Who doesn't want to have their wedding day as they choose to have it?

The topic is about brides losing out on their chosen gowns not how wasteful a wedding dress can be.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh