Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@denisemb wrote:

I don't like Alexa.  The only device is my Amazon Fire Stick, and I refuse to press the button and ask for a movie/program.  Just use the old fashioned type it in method.

If she were to ask my name, she'd quickly get a new name for herself.

it already knows your name......or whosever name is on your amazon account.

Well, guess I'll never hear it, so I'm satisfied with that.  Robot LOL

Denise
Honored Contributor

I'm one of those people who loves/is fascinated by real-time electronics but there's no way I'll own anything like this.... Woman Indifferent

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

I have a dot on the hearth to play 'fireplace sounds' to my electric fireplace. one in the bedroom: can't see without turning on lights and putting on glasses, so I can ask what time it is during the night. I have a echo in living room that I used to listen to local sportcasters for my football games, otherwise, turn the microphone off (it then lights red). 

frankly, Google on my phone is far superior in answering questions such as 'what time does Target open?'. and how to spell words. 

I won't pay extra for music and without paying, the muisc is pretty limited unless I 'open' I heart radio or Pandora. 

I figure most of our devices already track us at various levels. not doing anything I worry about. if Amazon wants to track how many times I ask for the time, or how much I play fireplace sounds, no biggie. 

if I didn't already have 2 dots and the echo, I would get a google instead. much smarter. not interested in smart home options (lights, heat, etc)

Honored Contributor

My Google doesn't ask me weird questions. I never knew the Alexa version did. Creepy and proves "they" are listening. 

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

Got an Alexa show as a gift--the person who gifted it set it up.  NEVER used it all it does is collect dust.

Honored Contributor

I got one of the first ones shipped and we loved it for years.  About a year or two ago, it started to speak when not spoken to, repeat things and ask questions we were a little unnerved about and one day said "that's it!" and we unplugged them all.

It turned from a convenience to a listening device. 

Honored Contributor

Why would anyone have one if they don't like it and don't use it ?????  I'm not afraid of or intimidated by modern technology but I don't buy everything that comes down the road.  I don't have Alexa because I have no need for one.

Esteemed Contributor

I have 2 dots and 1 Show.  I love it. it's never asked me anything.  It only speaks when spoken to.

If it listens, we're boring.  I feel sorry for someone listening to the one in the bathroom. LOL  In the tv room it will hear a lot of DH talking/swearing at the tv. LOL  In the office it hears me typing a lot. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Alexa's New "THING:

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66  @Sooner 

I agree Alexa and S.A.R.A.I are a bit creepy on how much they like to invade people's privacy.....  I remember one time my sister had put Alexa in another room and my sis, me, and some friends were in the living room discussing the cost of one of  my sister's prescriptions and without asking Alexa butted into the conversation......"why not ask your doctor to try such and such...."  My sis unplugged her.....  She does use Google  in her car to find directions and answer questions..less intrusive...but I'm sure its collecting data as well....

The tech people are working on more and more of these "robots" to do more and more of our jobs.....but what was scary I was reading where one of these research labs was working on some prototypes and without prompting the two robots started talking to each other in their own computer language......I guess the Researchers were also freaked about this and these prototypes were destroyed....something out of a Sci Fi movie for sure...CREEPY! ...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

Re: Alexa's New "THING:

[ Edited ]

So far none of my 4 Alexas have done that over the last 6 months I have had them.  Of course they know my name through my Amazon account.  I like to use my Alexas to control my color changing smart bulbs and smart outlets for ambient lighting throughout my house.  I do a lot of oranges, reds and purples in various locations.   The blend of them in one room can be quite spectacular.  I also use my Alexas to play music especially the one in the bedroom.   Other than that I use my Alexas for timers and alarm clocks regularly each day.  She also is very good at math which makes her helpful in the kitchen and office.  I also quite often ask her the time, time of sunrise/sunset, and the current temperature and/or weather forecast.