Honored Contributor

Alex Trebek Back on Chemo/Pancreatic Cancer

Just a week after returning to host Jeopardy!'s 36th season, Alex Trebek has revealed that he needs another round of chemotherapy to fight his stage 4 pancreatic cancer after his 'numbers went sky high'. 

Last Monday, Trebek returned to the nation's television screens for the premiere of Jeopardy! after completing months of chemotherapy. 

But during a Good Morning America interview Tuesday morning, the host said he must undergo more treatment. 

Trebek said his numbers were 'much higher than they were when I was first diagnosed so the doctors have decided that I have to undergo chemo again and that's what I'm doing'. 

'I've had one hell of a good life and I've enjoyed it and the thought of passing on doesn't frighten me,' the 79-year-old added. 

The host said he was 'doing so well and my numbers went down to the equivalent of a normal human being who does not have pancreatic cancer, so we were all very optimistic and they said, "good, we're going to stop chemo and start you on immunotherapy" and [I] lost about 12 pounds in a week and my numbers went sky high'. 

Last week, Trebek welcomed viewers to the show, saying: 'I'm happy to report, I'm still here.'

In August, he revealed that he had finished his chemotherapy treatment and was doing better just seven months after he announced that he had cancer.

'I've gone through a lot of chemotherapy. Thankfully, that is now over. I'm on the mend and that's all I can hope for right now,' Trebek said last month.  

Earlier this year, Trebek promised viewers that he would continue to fight the disease while hosting the show. 

He also credits the support from his millions of fans with helping him throughout his fight. 

'I've got a couple million people out there who have expressed their good thoughts, their positive energy directed towards me and their prayers,' he said at the time.  

'I told the doctors, this has to be more than just the chemo, and they agreed it could very well be an important part of this.

'I've got a lot of love out there headed in my direction and a lot of prayer, and I will never ever minimize the value of that.' 

Trebek revealed that he became emotional after hearing he was nearing remission in May. 'But they were tears of joy,' he said. 'Not tears of depression.' 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Alex Trebek Back on Chemo/Pancreatic Cancer

Sad, but unfortunately, not a surprise.  Of course, wishes for a complete recovery and a full life.

Honored Contributor

This cancer is so vicious and unforgiving.  I pray he is one of the few to conquer it.

How gracious this man is; I love what he said about being grateful for having a very blessed life and not being afraid to die.

Gallant guy!

Respected Contributor

I wish him the best and say a prayer. That is a tough one to battle, for sure.

Respected Contributor

This is sad, but not unexpected.  I didn't know he was 79 he looks so great.

I'm guessing that Alex will have to be replaced as host at some point in the near future, sorry to say.  He speaks so clearly and is always such a professional that it will be tough to replace him.  When I think of all these other recent goofy hosts taking over all the old game shows ($100,000 Pyramid, Match Game, To Tell the Truth, etc...) I cringe on who will be chosen to replace Alex.

If a young fit fellow like Patrick Swayzee couldn't beat this disease its unrealistic to think a man nearing 80 years of age would be able to.  It's just a fact of life.  I wish him all the luck in the world in trying to regain his health.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

Oh no this is very worrisome.  i feel he seems more frail since the new season started and he's sitting at the podium (if i recall correctly he would always stand as he read the answers)  Wishing Alex prayers for a speedy recovery!!

Respected Contributor

We must continue to pray!

Valued Contributor

This is so sad.  My DH recenty passed away from liver disease; he was doing fine and was a candidate for transplant, but his numbers went south as well.  The doctors did everything they could but couldn't get certain numbers to get to a baseline for him. 

Prayers to Alex T and his family.  

Helen852
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've known 2 people who did not survive this and it was caught at stage 3. It's a shame.

As a cancer survivor for 2.5 years, I was puzzled to hear Alex say a few months ago that he was "in remission."  I find it hard to believe that an oncologist told him that. I think perhaps he was being optimistic about his own situation.

He's a classy guy and I'm afraid at some point he will have to stop working. I wish him all the best.

Esteemed Contributor

My uncle passed of pancreatic cancer.  He died only a few short months after he was diagnosed.  Such a horrible thing, cancer.  I hope he can beat it.  Agree that he is a very gracious man.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead