Respected Contributor

Re: Alex Murdaugh-Takes th Stand-Own Defense 2/23 (Thur)

[ Edited ]

I've come to believe the motive in this case is based in Alex's extreme narcissism. If Maggie and Paul would have learned about the depth and breadth of Alex's hidden criminal life, they might have stopped loving him.

And that would be intolerable to him. Better to eliminate the possibility of facing that kind of pain -- pain that opioids can't relieve. 

So Buster was either just lucky, or Alex felt confident Buster would not abandon him. And he hasn't.....

Esteemed Contributor

As for motive, we all know you don't need one for conviction.  It's impossible to try to figure why one would kill their family.  Our minds don't fathom a crime like that.  A narcissist liar like Murdaugh....who can know what goes through that orange head of his.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

It’s a story with many twists and turns. He needed money but there was no life insurance. I have trouble with motive. The jury can make a decision without one but they will want a motive.

One thing that bothers me is the demeanor of Buster. No tears when you see & hear gory details about the brutal deaths of his mother & brother? No tears when you see your father sobbing on the stand?

I’m not sure about this but I thought I heard that Maggie had multiple wounds & Paul just one to the head that scattered his brain matter on the sidewalk. That would show more rage for Maggie & an execution style wound to Paul. Maybe Maggie was the target & Paul was not. The defendant regrets what happened to Paul & thats the grief we see during his testimony.

Valued Contributor

A person would have to suspend all reasoning to think he's not guilty.

Honored Contributor

'Let's just say'.......If someone wanted to 'frame' someone else, they might leave the suspect's items / clues at the scene OR they might use the accused weapons.

I'm just in a 'Columbo' frame of thinking right now.

'All I know' is that after watching local and national news, there are areas where there are frequent drive-by shootings that are drug and money related. 

Often killing innocent women and/or children in the family. 

Sometimes even guests.

Maybe not in my immediate area, but in broader areas. 

Oh well.......It's ok to have opposite viewpoints. 

If not, all of our minds might be in a non-thinking  state of mind. 

'All for one and one for all', so to speak.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stray wrote:
It’s a story with many twists and turns. He needed money but there was no life insurance. I have trouble with motive. The jury can make a decision without one but they will want a motive.

One thing that bothers me is the demeanor of Buster. No tears when you see & hear gory details about the brutal deaths of his mother & brother? No tears when you see your father sobbing on the stand?

I’m not sure about this but I thought I heard that Maggie had multiple wounds & Paul just one to the head that scattered his brain matter on the sidewalk. That would show more rage for Maggie & an execution style wound to Paul. Maybe Maggie was the target & Paul was not. The defendant regrets what happened to Paul & thats the grief we see during his testimony.

Investigators believe Maggie and Paul Murdaugh are killed around 8:50 p.m. near the kennels. Paul was shot twice with a shotgun, once in the chest and once in the head. The pathologist who conducted the autopsies testified that Maggie had 5 gunshot wounds, from at least 4 gunshots, from an AR-style rifle. Two of those shots struck her in the head. 

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Honored Contributor

Somewhere alone the line' I thought I heard/saw the Judge saying something about not using Character, only using Motive toward making the Jurors' decision.

I guess it is called a stipulation?  

Maybe it was made when the Jury was out of the room?

I don't think I was dreaming or imagining this.

But, I've been wrong before.  I wouldn't make a bet on it.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

This is such an interesting case and thread.

Thanking the Q for having these Community/Forums boards available to us.

What's nice is that it's all anonymous.  

Each of us has/have excellent thoughts and opinions.  

Respected Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn wrote:

@ROMARY 

How do you explain that M said that the dogs at the kennel, exhibited NO DISTURBANCE, about any stranger there, at the Kennel Murder scene?

~~~~~~~~~~

@ROMARY 

How do you explain that Murdaugh said that the dogs at the kennel, exhibited NO DISTURBANCE, about any stranger there, at the time Kennel Murder scene?

Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Somewhere alone the line' I thought I heard/saw the Judge saying something about not using Character, only using Motive toward making the Jurors' decision.

I guess it is called a stipulation?  

Maybe it was made when the Jury was out of the room?

I don't think I was dreaming or imagining this.

But, I've been wrong before.  I wouldn't make a bet on it.  

@ROMARY 

Not sure of the point you are making here, but. On my 9 Jury Panels, the Jury Instructions specifically said "Motive does not have to be a factor" for someone to be found Guilty of any crime. Their why? Makes no difference.

As for "stipulation". I first heard that word in a Court Room. Had to look it up and wondered, "why not just say (agree or agreement)"? Too simple I guess.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)