Honored Contributor

Re: Alec Baldwin Fired a Prop Gun Killing a Crew Member & Injuring a Director on a Film Set

@mspatmac I think that diagram post came from @MorningLover .

I am not that knowledgable about such specifics but I do know the basics of who does what on a film set because I hear about it all the time from my family members who are on set quite often.

I am joining in your prayers. Heart So horrible for everyone involved. The tv/film industry is very close knit despite how vast it is and this incident has affected a lot of players in it well beyond that one film crew.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Alec Baldwin Fired a Prop Gun Killing a Crew Member & Injuring a Director on a Film Set

@Laura14 wrote:

@Sooner  Any judge worth his or her salt is going to dismiss Mr. Baldwin from the case outright unless there is a shred of evidence that he knew the gun was misloaded which in all probability he did not.

The preparation of set props is just not an aspect of film making that actors are intimately involved in.   

@Laura14 What Judge? This was a tragic accident.

Honored Contributor

@manny2  Exactly. Please read the post I was responding to. That's who is appropriate to direct your comment to. 

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@Sooner Everyone on a set crew is unionized and actors cannot touch or be involved in anything that a union member is responsible for. 

Props are the sole responsibilty of that union and crew and, you can not have an actor (most of whom are not trained in props and the mechanics of props) held responsible for someone else's expertise or lack thereof.  

@Laura14 Which works fine until there is a trial and a jury and a boatload of expensive lawyers, and judges on the take, and a jury of who knows who is selected.  Then is when "justice" prevails. . .

So the prosecution will have public paid lawyers and the defense will have the high-paid big name people who will swoop in and now you never know what you'll get.

The lawyers will go after the Deep Pockets first. The movie studio will take the brunt of the financial penalty and the attention of the lawyers.

Honored Contributor

@candyagain Actually the film production's insurer will.  

Regular Contributor

I'm guessing he must have been pointing the gun at those souls and pulling the trigger (fooling around). Media not even going there.

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@candyagain Actually the film production's insurer will.  

But of course!  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry @candyagain I didn't mean to be flip.

It honestly depends on what kind of production it is. If it is studio backed, the film studio (like a Paramount) would have their own broker.

If it's an independent production, then the producer or owner of that individual production company would be responsible under their own insurance. 

Of course a lawyer will sue everyone but it usually takes a judge five seconds to start dismissing the ones who have no legitimate legal liability under the law. 

Honored Contributor

@MaverDaver wrote:

I'm guessing he must have been pointing the gun at those souls and pulling the trigger (fooling around). Media not even going there.

@MaverDaver  How on earth would you know that? Ridiculous! Why would the media go with such a dumb statement?

Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ 

Do you think Alec was just holding the gun and it just fired on its own and the bullet(s) magically found their way to two people?