Honored Contributor

Re: Alec Baldwin Fired a Prop Gun Killing a Crew Member & Injuring a Director on a Film Set

I just don't understand why someone inserted real bullets into a prop gun. 

It doesn't make a lot of common sense, imo.

Who would want to work on a movie set knowing that real bullets might possibly be in a prop gun?

I guess there should be some sort of required safety person on each set, checking to make sure that all prop guns are loaded with blanks, and not real bullets. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Re: Alec Baldwin Fired a Prop Gun Killing a Crew Member & Injuring a Director on a Film Set

@ROMARY  It is my understanding that there is including manifests of who handles what weaponry on set and off. It will all come out in the investigation.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner

No; it’s the responsibility of the prop master.
Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
Some of these comments are just disgustingly nasty. Why am I not surprised?

Because Alec Baldwin isn't liked by a certain group! And despite a horrific accident that caused a death, they're delighted. I can just imagine how it's being spun on a certain news network!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Sooner Everyone on a set crew is unionized and actors cannot touch or be involved in anything that a union member is responsible for. 

Props are the sole responsibilty of that union and crew and, you can not have an actor (most of whom are not trained in props and the mechanics of props) held responsible for someone else's expertise or lack thereof.  

@Laura14 Which works fine until there is a trial and a jury and a boatload of expensive lawyers, and judges on the take, and a jury of who knows who is selected.  Then is when "justice" prevails. . .

So the prosecution will have public paid lawyers and the defense will have the high-paid big name people who will swoop in and now you never know what you'll get.

Respected Contributor

Well even if the live round was for "effect," Baldwin would have to be told wouldn't he.  I mean how could he be allowed to point and fire a live round at someone in the movie as part of the script?

Honored Contributor

I just can't imagine someone firing a weapon without looking.  Sorry, but if anyone hands you a weapon you are taught to verify if it loaded, not loaded, etc.  

Of course a lot of people weren't raised that way and don't know the rules. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  Any judge worth his or her salt is going to dismiss Mr. Baldwin from the case outright unless there is a shred of evidence that he knew the gun was misloaded which in all probability he did not.

The preparation of set props is just not an aspect of film making that actors are intimately involved in.   

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer  No he would not be. In all likelihood, he would have been handed the prop when called to set and told action. I am sure there was a horrible mix up with the prop crew and they accidentally handed him the wrong gun or prepared it incorrectly.

Scenes are cancelled and moved around all day every day so it's very possible that the prop crew forgot to change out the ammunition or grabbed the wrong prop in a rush for daylight or time.

Total speculation but mistakes happen. Unfortunately, in this case, they had a very tragic outcome.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I just can't imagine someone firing a weapon without looking.  Sorry, but if anyone hands you a weapon you are taught to verify if it loaded, not loaded, etc.  

Of course a lot of people weren't raised that way and don't know the rules. 

On a movie set? Were they checked on John Wayne's films? Clint Eastwood's? and thousands more?????

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson