Trusted Contributor

So we hit Aldi to do a shop. We purchased NO meat, NO frozen items, NO pre-packaged meals of any type. We shopped what is considered the "perimeter" of the store in a grocery store plus canned goods (vegis), pasta and rice. 2 gallons of milk. Fresh fruit and vegis. Yogurt, butter. 

Total was $154. Prices averaged out to be $3 an item. The last time I shopped like this (no meat, no frozen, no pre-packaged, etc), the average cost per item was $1.50 (that was end of March).  Still MUCH cheaper than Publix or Winn Dixie and less expensive (for the most part) than Walmart, then and now.

Not looking forward to the comparison 3 months from now. Smiley Sad

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Trusted Contributor

Yes I know the feeling.  I spent $85 at Aldi and did not buy any meat. Groceries are easily double what they were a few months ago and I expect them to get higher.  With a family of 6 this is NOT a good thing.

Honored Contributor

I buy Aldi just five ingredients ice-cream  regularly. A couple of weeks ago it was $4. 19, last week it was $5.79. I haven't noticed shortages in the items I want, just higher prices. 

Esteemed Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

So we hit Aldi to do a shop. We purchased NO meat, NO frozen items, NO pre-packaged meals of any type. We shopped what is considered the "perimeter" of the store in a grocery store plus canned goods (vegis), pasta and rice. 2 gallons of milk. Fresh fruit and vegis. Yogurt, butter. 

Total was $154. Prices averaged out to be $3 an item. The last time I shopped like this (no meat, no frozen, no pre-packaged, etc), the average cost per item was $1.50 (that was end of March).  Still MUCH cheaper than Publix or Winn Dixie and less expensive (for the most part) than Walmart, then and now.

I noticed the same thing @FiddleDeeDee  I also notice a lot of the packaging is smaller, and the price is either the same, or has gone up. I spend a fortune between Costco, Aldi, and my supermarket. Unreal how much prices have gone up. 

Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

So that's 100% increase but the inflation rate is only 8.6%  uh huh...

Our last Aldi bill was almost double over what it used to be. We buy the bags of mini pretzels, they went from around 85¢ to $1.47,  eggs went from 58¢ to $3.29,  protein bars used to be $1.39 now they are $2.49, individual containers of yogurt were 58¢ and now are 73¢.

Respected Contributor

We noticed prices higher too where we shop as well.  You really have to shop wisely and have meals that you do not waste.  I take leftovers to work for lunch or we have the next night. 

Now that school is out grocery bills much higher for my daughter.   We help out but not sure how some do it.    Plus eat healthy on top of it all.  Meals planned around the sales helps.  

I have a freezer full and we have been preparing for this.  Only buy the meat that is on sale but just the two of us and we do not eat meat like we use to.

Trusted Contributor

@mimomof4  We are a family of 6 and it is TOUGH especially with 2 that are athletes. Their protein and milk consumption is high plus they are now both in a growth spurt. My freezer is packed with meat from my last shop months ago when there were sales and such and am working through that meat now. That just means I'm going to have spend $$$$ to replace it going forward. *heavy sigh*

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

I get the majority of my meat at Costco, and since it's only me, I don't need to buy it that often. I have heard so many mixed reviews on meat from Aldi that I'm a bit wary, but the few things I've taken a chance on have been fine.

I get produce and dairy at Aldi, and the prices are higher every time I go. I'm thinking I should start checking the sales at other stores and stop assuming Aldi will have the best price. 

Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee   I just walked into Aldi and bavk out without buying a thing!   Every register was working and ea ch had what was most likely at least a 20 minute line back into the aisles.

I had already been to Home Depot and come away with what I wanted.  Made a last minite decision to detour a mile to Aldi rather than doing the whole trip another day.  I had gone for just 3 items and decided I could wait because I don't need them today.  

Might even just head to Costco tomorrow -  I know I can do okay there except for the cereal I usually buy at Aldi every time I go.

Anyone know a sugar-free version of Cheerios besides Aldi's Crispy Oats?

Respected Contributor

I watched an economist on PBS say everything you buy is effected by gas prices. Everything has to get from point A to point B maybe with points in between. 

I just went to Aldi and bought a cart full of food including meat and organic cage free eggs, breads, lots of produce and cheeses, $6 BBQ sauce etc and my bill was $60. I'm not complaining