Super Contributor

Re: Aldi shop yesterday...

[ Edited ]

@scatcat wrote:

I watched an economist on PBS say everything you buy is effected by gas prices. Everything has to get from point A to point B maybe with points in between. 

I just went to Aldi and bought a cart full of food including meat and organic cage free eggs, breads, lots of produce and cheeses, $6 BBQ sauce etc and my bill was $60. I'm not complaining 

we need to turn the energy back on in the USA.  How In the world did you get a cart full for 60?  Specifically. What'd you buy?

Trusted Contributor

I was pleasantly surprised to find that egg prices were down today at Trader Joe's from $2.49/large last week to $1.99 today.  Have no idea why.  In general though, all grocery items have either gone up in price or shrunk in size or both.  The price of gas does affect every monetary aspect of our lives, but so does corporate greed.

Regular Contributor

This morning I bought a watermelon for $4.99 and green grapes for $.99 at Aldis  At my regular grocery store, watermelon is $8.99 and green grapes $2.49 this week.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@VanSleepy  I buy specific meats from specific stores. At Aldi, I buy only the following:

* THIN cut boneless porkchops

*Family size skinless, boneless chicken breasts

*Chicken breasts with bone IN and with SKIN for roasting (the BEST)

*Chicken thighs (both versions)

*Chicken legs

*Roast pork for pulled pork

Costco:

*pork tenderloin (2 pack)

*fresh shrimp (cooked and uncooked)

Publix:

*Pork shoulder/butt because they will cut it into 1 inch cubes

*pot roast

*deli meat (low sodium ham and chicken for those times we want subs or I need to make travel meals while we are on the road for HOURS).

I buy specific brands of sausages and go where they are the cheapest. 

I've found that Publix is way overprices, Winn-Dixie is often MORE expensive than Publix (go figure), Walmart has far better berries for a better price than Aldi but overall, on basic items- Aldi is #1 for price and quality.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

Before this nonsense occurred, Aldi used to have really great prices.  Now, not so much.  Some things -- primarily their brands are mostly cheaper than most stores.  However, their prices have gone up quite a bit, too.  There are basically no good prices on food any place that I know of.  I really don't feel it makes sense to go to 3, 4 or 5 stores searching for a couple things which are cheaper --- this wastes more money in gas than what you would save!  No matter which way you turn, you just can't seem to win..... 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Aldi shop yesterday...

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Before this nonsense occurred, Aldi used to have really great prices.  Now, not so much.  Some things -- primarily their brands are mostly cheaper than most stores.  However, their prices have gone up quite a bit, too.  There are basically no good prices on food any place that I know of.  I really don't feel it makes sense to go to 3, 4 or 5 stores searching for a couple things which are cheaper --- this wastes more money in gas than what you would save!  No matter which way you turn, you just can't seem to win..... 

I totally agree with that.  The only reason we do it is because Aldi is one parking lot down from our regular supermarket and Lidl is across the highway from them. 

If they were on opposite sides of town we wouldn't be doing it because they do have a lot of supply chain issues.  You could get there and walk away with nothing you went in for.  

Costco is then one more parking lot down from Lidl, we're lucky they are so close to each other.

Esteemed Contributor

Only two of us.  And I buy in bulk which seemed crazy two years ago but now if the price is right for us it is a no brainer.  But we don't eat meat so problem there.  We do eat fish and those prices have risen.  Otherwise I am still using my bulk supply of paper goods and cleaning supplies.  Those things I need such as milk and eggs I get a better price using reward pricing at Weis Markets. I guess we all have our shopping needs and tricks to cut the prices down but it is getting harder and harder.