Trusted Contributor

I guess if you like  Aldi's depends upon where you live. The Aldi's near me is so dirty and disorganized I have only been their twice. The first time was to look for pumpkins...they had them piled into boxes ...smashed, cracked, etc. Very few intact ones...and lots of pumpkin debris on the floor around the boxes. I decided to give them a second chance and went a few months later. Just as dirty as before and shelves looked ransacked; boxes thrown onto shelves, some bags of things like chips were opened and spilling...your basic nightmare. I don't know how they stay in business. 

Respected Contributor

@Duckncover  Not sure where you're located but none of the Aldi's I've been in here in NJ are like that at all.  To the contrary, they're well organized, clean and neat.  Never have I ever seen opened packages of food or anything like you've described in the Aldi's I've shopped at.   Sorry yours is like that, but the Aldi's I shop at is nothing like that. 

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Contributor

I agree...do not care for Aldis.  I go there at Christmas once or twice to buy candy and cookies.  Do not care for their produce.  My main complaint is the clientele.  Just like Walmart.  I like Walmart in other locations.  Love it when we go south and I can shop at Publix.  I shop the two supermarkets in town I live in.  Also, think the quarter to get cart and take your own sack or buy one is ridiculous.  I am trying not to sound like a snob!

Valued Contributor

As others have said it depends on how yours is managed.  I buy certain things there, our produce and dairy is great.  I do not buy their bread (they keep  frozen and put out that way.) I have had good luck with the cereal we like and granola bars.  Also, their brand stove top stuffing is almost the same as name brand at a quarter of the price, but watch out they put them next to each other and it's easy to grab the wrong one.   Their hams are great when they have them.  The are pretty much seasonal, you will find them around all the major holidays. Occasonally I will try something, sometimes good other times not so.

Respected Contributor

There is one near me.  I have only been once because it was at the time before I had my hip surgery so I was using a cane so was not comfortable waiting in a long line.  The line was absolutely horrible and slow with only 1 checker and she sort of fussed at me to move out the way quickly while trying to bag my groceries.  So I was like no, too much hassle.  Maybe I will try it again this summer.  I also did not like the ridiculous thing of having to put in a quarter to get a cart.  Yes, you get it back, but what a pain to have to fool with.

They had some great prices on some items but others like the berries I bought (thinking what a good deal I got) had already started to go bad.  They did have a great deal on a large bottle of olive oil I remember.  

Honored Contributor

@flygoos wrote:

I agree...do not care for Aldis.  I go there at Christmas once or twice to buy candy and cookies.  Do not care for their produce.  My main complaint is the clientele.  Just like Walmart.  I like Walmart in other locations.  Love it when we go south and I can shop at Publix.  I shop the two supermarkets in town I live in.  Also, think the quarter to get cart and take your own sack or buy one is ridiculous.  I am trying not to sound like a snob!

If you go there, then you know you get your quarter back and as far as bringing your own bags, do you shop at Costco or BJ's or in a state that has banned plastic bags? 

Clientele just like Walmart?  Sorry, not sorry you are sounding like a snob.

Respected Contributor

@on the bay 

Nice summary of Aldi's.  For those not familiar, I would like to add a bit from my experience.

Dairy items are quality.  Talked to district dairy rep one day while at Aldi and he said they produce milk products for Aldi.  Savings in dairy is one of reasons I go.  Cheese variety and quality first rate.  We enjoy several bakery items , specialty breads, brioche, and everyday simple bread items.  

I go between local grocery that has everything under the sun and Aldi.  I have heard the aisle of non-food items called 'the aisle of shame.'. I try to be strong but do find things I can use with some regularity.  I must admit that Aldi has not had the stock that they used to have pre-pandemuc.  I think this common.

Honored Contributor

Understand that going into Aldi's you may not see true name brands.  What you will see is similar color packaging as name brands but branded under a different name for Aldi.  We buy thr Aldi version of Parmesan Crisps, Keto Cookies, Keto Crackers and cannot tell the difference. Pricewise, we do better on the parmesan crisps and keto cookies at Costco but in a pinch Aldi works. I appreciate that they have their "Never Any" branded chicken,  sausages, and bacon - meaning no antibiotics, no steroids, no hormones.  They have grassfed beef, grassfed hotdogs, carageenan free heavy cream great cheeses, keto ice cream, and pasture raised eggs.  I am not fond of their dry salame.  Overall their produce has been very good but the asparagus can be iffy.  I've gotten nice bunches and then I've seen super pencil thin pieces from time to time.  Sometimes I find random household items that tempt me so I've purchased seat cushions for my kitchen dining set and seasonal doormats 

We have the option of four Aldi stores in the region.  One is especially nice, two are very good, and one is fine but an older store.  I'm there about three times a month. 

Contributor

No, I don't live in a state that bans plastic bags.  I do not have a Costco near me and I have no idea what BJ's is.  My children have memberships at Costco.  It is too large for me as I am older.  I used to shop at Sams Club years ago.  I know  you get the quarter back...so what is the point of doing that.  I just don't like Aldis period.  I shop Fareway and Hy-vee.  Both are very clean with good prices.  I live in the beautiful Midwest!

Trusted Contributor

@flygoos The cart rental system is all part of Aldi's business plan to keep prices low. Having customers use a quarter to unlock a shopping cart keeps them from being left around the parking lot. It also keeps Aldi from having to send an employee out to collect them all day. They don't hire people to fetch carts like a store like Walmart does.