Respected Contributor

Re: Aldi's Markets -- What's your opinion?

They are not in convenient locations in my area.....in each case it requires me to drive out of my way.   All though several more have sprung up a bit closer to my home since the 1st one arrived in our area....but ...unfortunately out of sight out of mind.    

Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

Oh good old Aldi - they put something on sale but when you go to buy it, it is "sold out". What other grocery store does that? No rainchecks.  The store doesn't carry enough product (like Trader Joe's) to "be amazed at how much $ you will save". Yes I save 30 cents on a loaf of bread and 10 cents on kidney beans. Milk is more expensive there than Target.  THeir chips, tortilla chips and cheetos knock offs go untouched at my house.  So Aldi to me is MEH - I do buy basics - mustard, flour, sour cream. They have a good higher end turkey lunch meat (rivals T Joes) but it's hit or miss if it will be in stock. The cashier did tell me since they started taking credit cards (costing them 3% service charge) sales have increased 15% (no ^%#* Sherlock)

I've been to both and unless I just have some time to kill, they aren't on my shopping route.  Both seem to have a LOT of canned, boxed and packaged things that I wouldn't buy or use.  So, that's not very productive for me.  The basic things I do want are often missing or in some way different from what I want. 

I also have to spend a lot of time seeing where things come from (but I do that everywhere too, I guess).   From what I read, people buy a LOT of extra non-grocery items there, so that adds to the bill and their profits!  LOL!!

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

I've been to Aldi's twice. I didn't care for it. 

I also don't care for Trader Joe's. 

They are owned by the same company.

I much prefer Trader Joe's.  I buy 5 or so items from TJ's on a regular basis.  Aldi's were not good in my area.  Not intersted and pricing wasn't great!!!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Trusted Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

One thing I forgot Aldi is famous for are the hams that are available at this time of the year through Easter.  Then you won't be able to get them anymore.  They are much better IMO than Honey Baked Ham.  I'm not a big ham fan but if you are, these are definitely worth a try.

They also have really amazing specialty cheeses.  Anytime anyone I know has to bring a cheese tray to something, they get their cheese from Aldi.  I have also heard about the awesome chocolate although I've never tried it.  They also carry various wines and some have said they are very good.

I love their cheeses, @Lipstickdiva. They have great prices on them too, and I like it when they get in specialty cheeses, too. 

Their ham is really good, too. I usually stick with the smaller cuts, since my husband is not a big ham eater, and I try and watch the amount that I eat due to sodium.

I will either buy a ham steak or a small ham butt when I do buy it. They normally carry these cuts all of the time. I have never been disappointed in the quality of their ham. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Carolm wrote:

Quite a number of years ago, I read in a newspaper that an Aldi's store was robbed and the clerk gave the robber money from his cash register.  Aldi's fired the clerk for turning over the money.  I have never forgotten the news article and I've never shopped there.  If a store doesn't care about the safety of its employees,  I am not interested in doing business there.

This was horrible.  I searched to find out what exactly happened. Apparently, the robber reached in and took the money out of her register, she didn't give it to him.  She was fired by the regional manager because the regional manager said she had too much money in her register, some of it should have been dumped earlier. 

Regardless of the circumstances, how it was handled was disgusting.  Apparently, no one from Aldi would speak to any news outlet about the incident. In the article I found, Forbes Magazine said Aldi is very secretive in the way they handle things and that they keep prices so law because they are "ruthless."   

It's not a secret in the industry, cashiers are instructed not to keep over a certain amount in their drawer at any one time, if a robbery occurs and they make off with significantly more than the opening drawer, you are eligible for termination.

Respected Contributor

It is not a place to do all your grocery shopping.  I do go there and some things are hit or miss.  It is small and easy to get in and out of.  I eat walnuts in my oatmeal every morning so they are definitely cheaper.  I did get a bag that was not good and returned them and they are great about returns if you are not happy. 

Honored Contributor

If you see this, get it.  It's amazing.Cat Very Happy

Image result for aldi cashew butter

Honored Contributor

Aldi's definitely saves me money, but I stick with boxed and canned items where I have no brand preferences.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have the Aldis app on my phone - you can get the sales and coupons there plus keep your shopping lists so you always have it if you are close by and decide to stop in. 

My only complaint is that sometimes I find a product we really like and when I go to buy it again , it is not available.

Respected Contributor

Great place for produce.  Jujst got cucmbers there for 29 cents a cuke.