Esteemed Contributor

Re: Aldi's Markets -- What's your opinion?

Although I go to a huge store for a major monthly food purchase, it's some distance away, and I run into an Aldi's store for all the little stops between.

I started going to Aldi's at least 4 years ago for their excellent price on washed, bagged butter lettuce, which is STILL excellent, and STILL the same low price!

Since then I've found they have the best canned cat food, a very finely ground pate, and my cats prefer it to all other brands.

The little tubs of soft black licorice near the enterance is VERY aromatic, delicious, and near addicting!

Many of their breakfast cereals are comparable to major brands in taste, look, ingredients, nutritional content.

Sugar substitute, organic barbeque sauce, fancy shaped egg noodles, bagged spinach, marinated artichokes, some salad dressings, German potato salad, tub-o-whipped butter with canola oil . . .I'm just realizing how much I DO buy at Aldi's these days.

They have most items available year round, but they also feature Seasonal items, and Special Purchases that are "until supplies last". In one store, high demand "Special Purchase" items that sell out quickly in that store may linger on the shelf in another part of town. In autumn, I've been known to "make the rounds" to multiple Aldi stores, stocking up on their seasonal Red Pepper and Tomato soup.

They can keep their standard cookies, but some of the imported holiday cookies will come in soon, and I'll stock up! 

Deutch Kuche is one of Aldi's regular import brands that has some excellent offerings all over the store.

Aldi's has weekly sales that go Wednesday-following Tuesday. From their website you can have their weekly flyer sent to your email addy.

Honored Contributor

About the milk, if a large segment of their shoppers use a program where they can get free milk (here it's called WIC) the price is always higher.    Because the store gets reimbursed from the government.

I don't mind shopping in the lower income neighborhood stores, on some things the prices are much cheaper, milk - not so much.

For example, my local little cheap grocery store, Sav-A-Lot, sells fresh chicken breasts for $.99 per pound.    The manager said no one wants them because they are not convenient to cook, by the time they are "done", they are dry.  I don't have a problem with them!

@scatcat wrote:

Oh good old Aldi - they put something on sale but when you go to buy it, it is "sold out". What other grocery store does that? No rainchecks.  The store doesn't carry enough product (like Trader Joe's) to "be amazed at how much $ you will save". Yes I save 30 cents on a loaf of bread and 10 cents on kidney beans. Milk is more expensive there than Target.  THeir chips, tortilla chips and cheetos knock offs go untouched at my house.  So Aldi to me is MEH - I do buy basics - mustard, flour, sour cream. They have a good higher end turkey lunch meat (rivals T Joes) but it's hit or miss if it will be in stock. The cashier did tell me since they started taking credit cards (costing them 3% service charge) sales have increased 15% (no ^%#* Sherlock)

Trusted Contributor

If you like chocolate, be sure to try Moser Roth and Choceur brands sold at Aldi's.  Very inexpensive price for, what I think, is very good chocolate. 

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Here in DFW, they are in....questionable....areas of town.

Not worth it. 

Agreed.  I haven't even seen one though I do get their ads.  I live in Uptown and since they opened a Whole Foods literally a 5 min walk away, I go there or Central Market for the most part.

Trusted Contributor

For us personally, we find that we save the most money when we shop there.

Their prices can't be beat, when compared to the other supermarkets in our area.

I think that probably most people know by now that private label store brands are made by major food product manufacturers. They just have a different label put on them. Smiley Happy

We like their boxed cereals and I like their instant oatmeal and their dairy products and their baking mixes and baking products, too. Their frozen foods and frozen veggies are good, too.

I can't really think of anything that we have bought there, that we just really didn't like, off-hand. 

My husband likes their coffee and their sweetner. 

Honored Contributor

@vickie25

I drove by the Uptown WF the other day.  

Holy Cow that thing is huge!! Good stuff.

Definitely a need in that area.

I'm in Plano where you can throw a stick &

hit Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Kroger & Market Street 

with one throw!!   Very, very 'burby. Hee

Honored Contributor

detest them!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

Ours is terrible.  Plus, the line is long, and you have to pay for a bag.  

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

Oh, thanks @Toppers3. I've been thinking about trying their coffee.

I've found Aldi stores tend to reflect their local shoppers. I supposed that applies equally to all sorts of stores though.

One local Aldi in an affluent neighborhood is always clean and well stocked, and offers abundant fresh, appealing perishables.
Another Aldi in another neighborhood sells more chips than cheese, and some of the perishables often linger too long and appear unappealing.

I'll say this for Aldi; regardless where the store is located, the staff I've encountered all seem to be well trained, happy in their work, and do not "resent" customers who need help or ask questions.
Esteemed Contributor

Love Aldi's!!!

We have one being built 5 miles from my home and I can't wait.