Trusted Contributor

Re: Aldi's Markets -- What's your opinion?

I went in one years ago just to see what it was and never went back. 

Honored Contributor

As a very happy Trader Joe's customer,  I look forward to Aldi's hopefully slowly moving north in CA (they are only opening in SoCal currently). Aldi's & TJs are owned by the same company and as I understand it are similar in many ways.

CA has had "bring your own grocery bags" for a year or two now. It's a no-brainer and no one even thinks about it any more, you just do it - or pay. No biggie.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I have been told Aldis can vary in different communities but the one where I go in Pa and the one I go to here are both pristine and the fresh foods are great.Prices are good, friendly atmosphere. I go as often as I can. I love their tortilla chips and their low fat cereal.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

Aldi's definately a different experience (the article posted by @SeaMaiden is a terrific read) but if you are on a budget they are great.  One thing to keep in mind is the management in each store.  I have three within 10 minutes of me and each are uniquely different so if your's doesn't have a good manager you may have a sub-par experience.

I have shopped there for years including their electronics (from a digital camera to a convection oven and a huge gas grill) and have been very happy with everything.  I recently purchased a MCM chopper knock off that is just the bomb as my knife skills sadly are lacking.  They have good warranties and stand by their products.  This week they have asparagus and brussel sprouts on sale so I was glad to see their ad!

Again, it is not for everyone but I do enjoy shopping there.

This is what I like about the store more than anything.  LOL  My cousin bought the chest freezer they had last year and is very happy with it.  Another relative of mine bought his patio set from there. 

I love, love, love asparagus so when I saw it for $1.69 in the weekly ad, I know that will be a stop for me this weekend.

Respected Contributor

They have expanded their organic produce department. You must try the German chocolate candy bars as you go in. For $2 you get 4 bars of the best chocolate you will ever put in your mouth.

Trusted Contributor

I went once, and it looked like a food pantry for people who couldn't afford food.  The company is building a new store in another town close by, so I am going to try that one to see if it is any different.

Honored Contributor

I've been to Aldi's twice. I didn't care for it. 

I also don't care for Trader Joe's. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Believe me I can be a snob on brands.!! BUT I love Aldi's.

They have their own line/brand and I have found everything to be great except their version of Oreo Cookies..that wasn't a hit LOL...

They have a lot of gluten free products too.

Bring your own bag..you can buy them their very reasonable..but still people don't like it..

Their shopping cart costs a quarter but you get it back when you put it back. It is to deter everybody from leaving the carts around the lot and they don't have staff that goes and picks them up. You pack your own items too.

They also have a return policy that if you do not find it to your liking or satisfactory they take it back, with the receipt, no questions asked!

Respected Contributor

@Christie B wrote:
The first Aldi's market has opened in my area (San Diego County). I haven't had a chance to visit yet. What do you like? What not so much? Anything special to watch out for? I haven't seen any circulars, do they mail them? Thanks for your responses!

Hi Christie B!

"Aldi's" owns "Trader Joe's".  Trader Joe's is their sister Company. 

I found out about "Aldi's" when going back east to visit my parents. They have had one in their town for about 20 plus years. 

I wish we would get an Aldi's in Northern California.  Maybe pretty soon...

I think you are going to like Aldi's.

Respected Contributor

Oh good old Aldi - they put something on sale but when you go to buy it, it is "sold out". What other grocery store does that? No rainchecks.  The store doesn't carry enough product (like Trader Joe's) to "be amazed at how much $ you will save". Yes I save 30 cents on a loaf of bread and 10 cents on kidney beans. Milk is more expensive there than Target.  THeir chips, tortilla chips and cheetos knock offs go untouched at my house.  So Aldi to me is MEH - I do buy basics - mustard, flour, sour cream. They have a good higher end turkey lunch meat (rivals T Joes) but it's hit or miss if it will be in stock. The cashier did tell me since they started taking credit cards (costing them 3% service charge) sales have increased 15% (no ^%#* Sherlock)