Occasional Contributor

Re: Aldi's Markets -- What's your opinion?

I travel over 50 miles which is the nearest location to where i live. thank goodness our city will have its own Aldi store soon. I love the brands. if you dont like it or have problems Aldi will make it right.

after buying for so long at the Aldi store I went home one year for vacation and my mother bought some brand name cookies. my granddaughter told me that the cookies did not taste right. so i tried them and this is no lie they tasted like dirt or cardboard if you might say. i wrote the company and told them about the taste and they apologized and gave me coupons saying it might be in the transporation of some sorts and that could alter the taste. I didnt even think at the time about this but you can really taste the difference in brand name verses Aldi. I will continue to buy from Aldi as soon as our store opens. no more traveling. whoowhoo.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Is this a discount market?  Most all  regular markets take coupons, that is why I ask.

I honestly don't know if they take coupons or not. Most of their items are their own private label so you wouldn't have coupons for what they are selling.  It's not often they get a name brand.  I've seen some name brand pop like Coke and I've seen Pop-Tarts and periodically some Uncle Bens rice or a few other namebrand items. 

Honored Contributor

My late husband loved it way more than I did!    The closest one to me is not all that convenient.    I was impressed with their produce.    Very fresh & priced well, good variety. Same with their fresh & frozen meat.    

A cart costs a quarter but you get it back when you return the cart.   Or in our case we just take the cart from someone leaving then give it to someone else when we leave.  You need your own bags, Aldi's charges for bags, but that's not a problem.    It's small and I never recall seeing it dirty or dumpy looking.

The cashiers are very good, I think they get paid a bit more than your run-of-the-mill cashiers.   If starting is minimum or $8, they were paid $9 or $10.

@Christie B wrote:
The first Aldi's market has opened in my area (San Diego County). I haven't had a chance to visit yet. What do you like? What not so much? Anything special to watch out for? I haven't seen any circulars, do they mail them? Thanks for your responses!

Esteemed Contributor

Ironically, the first Aldi's I ever visited was in France. When they opened a store in my city, I checked it out. It's not my regular supermarket but they have occasional offerings that are excellent. I go there only for those specials, since the store is on the opposite end of town from where I live. One of my daughters does a great deal of shopping at her local Aldi's and everything I've eaten from the store has been fine.

Honored Contributor

I made my one and only trip about a year ago to one that recently opened nearby to a lot of fanfare.  

I honestly don't get it.  Unless you have a large family who eats a lot of boxed items, I really didn't get it.  

They didn't even have the one thing I went in to get which was advertised in their circular  after my normal market was out(oranges).  In fact, there was hardly any produce at all and most everything in the store near me was not something I would ever eat.  I like to cook and raw ingredients is just not what they do.  I wasn't expecting a full market but it wasn't even close.

It's not my thing but I can tell you that little store was packed so a lot of people don't agree with me.       

Honored Contributor

I was only in one , once. I found it confusing not much produce, It might have been a smaller one, from the ones other people have used

I would have trouble getting used to this one

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
I went a few times about 2 years ago when they opened, it was very hit or miss and like has been said here, unless your family eats a lot of boxes or canned items, I don't really get it, but obviously it works well for many others. I didn't like their checkout either - I felt totally rushed. And bring your own bags or else you'll be carrying armfuls to your car. I understand it, that is one way they reduce costs, but still. ETA - We shopped at Aldi in Germany - it's really nice there. And I forgot to mention that the US Aldi stores have very nice German chocolate and holiday stuff.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Aldi's definately a different experience (the article posted by @SeaMaiden is a terrific read) but if you are on a budget they are great.  One thing to keep in mind is the management in each store.  I have three within 10 minutes of me and each are uniquely different so if your's doesn't have a good manager you may have a sub-par experience.

I have shopped there for years including their electronics (from a digital camera to a convection oven and a huge gas grill) and have been very happy with everything.  I recently purchased a MCM chopper knock off that is just the bomb as my knife skills sadly are lacking.  They have good warranties and stand by their products.  This week they have asparagus and brussel sprouts on sale so I was glad to see their ad!

Again, it is not for everyone but I do enjoy shopping there.

Honored Contributor

Here in DFW, they are in....questionable....areas of town.

Not worth it.