Contributor

Aldi's Markets -- What's your opinion?

The first Aldi's market has opened in my area (San Diego County). I haven't had a chance to visit yet. What do you like? What not so much? Anything special to watch out for? I haven't seen any circulars, do they mail them? Thanks for your responses!
Honored Contributor

Re: Aldi's Markets -- What's your opinion?

I don't know if Aldis differ from city to city but I have really enjoyed ours.

I am always surprised by the quality and price of the produce-vegetables, fruit-some of the best I've had this year.

Also they have a great spinach dip (which isn't always there).

If you need basic things like sugar, sweeteners, there is no place I've found that has a better price.(but not coffee or creamer-better to buy in larger store)

Oh and fresh flowers at the checkouts! Very pretty and innexpensive.

Interesting and very good wine-one that has an owl word in it -sorry , I forget the whole label-it is red and about $5.

I have found all the Aldis brands of anything-crackers, cookies, soup, tuna etc to be some of the best I've tried.

Hope you have fun at your Aldis shopping trip!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Christie B, check out the Aldi thread in the kitchen forum. 

Contributor

Will do, thanks.

Contributor

I really appreciate your comments.  I look forward to exploring!

Respected Contributor

Aldi's products are great. They have their own brand name (Millville, I think). We usually stop and pick up our produce and whatever else we can get at Aldi's before going on to the larger supermarket. They do send out weekly flyers.

The quality of their produce and their brand of products are excellent. Don't listen to the people who tell you that their produce is old or second quality. That is absolute nonsense. I am very fussy about produce. Their meats, fish, and their own brand name products are fantastic. You just have to try their brand names to see if you like them as well as those that you are used to. We all have favorite brands in certain things.

If you don't like something (e.g. produce), you can bring it back in. They will give you another one free AND refund your money. That is how confident they are in the quality of their produce.

A couple tips: On Wednesday mornings they have a huge saving on some type of meat. If you want it, you better get there when they open, as all the restaurants are at their door to grab all that they can get their hands on. When it's gone, it's gone. You also need to pay for your bags (6 cents or something), so you can save more by bringing your own, and you put a quarter in the slot to release a shopping cart. That saves on them needing to send someone out to collect carts...and saves on vehicle damage. When you return your cart, you get your quarter back. They do not accept checks, but usually take whatever debit or credit card I give them.

You will be shocked by how much you save! Enjoy your new Aldi's.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@loveschocolate wrote:

@Christie B, check out the Aldi thread in the kitchen forum. 

@Christie B I agree with @loveschocolate, check out that thread and if you also do a quick search on Aldi you will find more with many folk's picks for their favorites.

I personally love shopping there and always look forward to checking out their specials.

eta:  The only thing I want to make sure you know before you go is that you will need a quarter in order to secure a shopping cart and you can either purchase grocery bags in the store or bring your own.  They now take most major credit cards so that is a nice benefit that was recently added.  Oh and they do not accept coupons . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

For me, Aldi is very hit or miss.  It's not a place I go to weekly.  And I quickly came to realize just because it's at Aldi doesn't mean it's cheaper.  It depends what is on sale at other places.  You also have to watch the size of things. For instance, I used to buy bagged lettuce all the time.  If my store didn't have it BOGO, it was cheaper at Aldi.  However, then I realized the bags sold at Aldi were smaller than my grocery store.  So it's really not cheaper. 

I love the Aldi organic already popped popcorn that comes in a bag.  I also buy the organic peanut butter and ketchup. 

I hated the paper products I've tried like TP, papertowel, tin foil, freezer bags.  I also personally don't buy canned goods because I'm pretty loyal to name brands which they don't have.  Most of the name brand stuff my store gets isn't any cheaper, with few exceptions.

The one thing I do buy there is a lot of the non-food, special purchase items.  I bought the best tank tops from there I have ever owned.  I've bought sunglasses, slippers, thong sandals and decorative items for my house.   

I typically do not buy meat from there.  They do have pre-cooked, sauced ribs that I buy about once a summer. 

Honored Contributor

Is this a discount market?  Most all  regular markets take coupons, that is why I ask.

Honored Contributor

They do send a circular with the rest of the weekly circulars that come in the mail.

The one nearest to me is very small and although it's been years since I have been there, their produce section was laughable the few times I did go in.  I don't know if that has changed over the years.