Honored Contributor

Re: Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta

count your blessings ! you could have drifted to amarillo LOL

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@just bee.  I had no idea you'd lost your home.  If you mentioned it here, I missed it.  I'm  so sorry for your misfortune.  Did you lose everything?  Are you still in Albuquerque?  Rebuilding?

Your bees didn't make much of an appearance this morning.  I waited and waited for them then they went up and immediately back dpwn.  Hardly worth the trip.

@Kachina624 

Lost both vehicles -- watched them melt -- and most of our possessions.  I had an antique mahogany chest in the garage that held all the photographs.  Every dog, family members, school photos, trips -- all gone.

It was the soot that was so awful.  I couldn't see paying to "restore" hundreds of books and items that probably cost less than the price of restoration.  Most items went into landfill.  Things I'd collected for 50 years.

I'd planned to donate a lot of it but I was slow and thought I had plenty of time.  Didn't know the house was going to burn.  (Surprise!)

Our house is being rebuilt and we're in an adorable rental in a great neighborhood in Taylor Ranch.  It's been an adventure.

And I saw the bees inflate, go up briefly and come down.  I was able to see the balloons from the walking trail here when I took the dog out, but wasn't able to make out individual balloons.  That's what I like about our (burnt) house: The view of the Sandias, the bosque and the Balloon Park.

But that's the story in a nutshell.  We had been tackling projects before the fire and had just put on a new roof, a new front door, new lighting, new water heater, new... never mind.  I just get a headache thinking about it. Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee.  How horrible to lose you memorabilia and possessions.  Glad you're able to rebuild.

My parents had a mishap with that soot when the handle on a can opener fell down and started it while they were off in their RV.  The heat burned the cabinet above it and created the greasy soot.  It covered everything including things in dresser drawers.  They had to have everything cleaned including several Navajo rugs, pottery, upholstered furniture, eyc.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@just bee.  How horrible to lose you memorabilia and possessions.  Glad you're able to rebuild.

My parents had a mishap with that soot when the handle on a can opener fell down and started it while they were off in their RV.  The heat burned the cabinet above it and created the greasy soot.  It covered everything including things in dresser drawers.  They had to have everything cleaned including several Navajo rugs, pottery, upholstered furniture, eyc.

@Kachina624 

The soot is insidious.  The problem with our soot was that what was in the garage burned.  Cars, paint, chemicals, pesticide, herbicide...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Sunday shot

Windy morning, but it's calmer now and there's a green flag.  We're good to go. Woman Very Happy

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

I hope @judy0330 can make time for a second day at the balloon park because it looks like it's going to be a spectacular morning.

Dawn Patrol has already left the ground and the balloons look like they're drifting to the south.  Ten balloons have gone up and it's only 6:20!

@just bee   I didn't check the forum when we were away and just saw your message.  Unfortunately we didn't get to go to the Balloon Fiesta another day but we did see a lot of the balloons when we were on our way to Taos the following morning.  It was very disappointing not to see the mass ascension -- but still great to see the balloons being inflated and some did go up the first day.  I think what shocked me the most seeing the balloons up close was their size!  We had a really good trip.  The two things that stand out for me about New Mexico are the weather (we had wonderful weather -- except of course on the first morning of the Fiesta!) and the incredibly beautiful clear blue skies.  

So many highlights of our trip.  The balloons (even though......) -- the Nuclear Science Museum -- a visit to a first grade class at a Pueblo school -- a float trip on the Rio Grande -- Ghost Ranch (where we did three tours  -- a paleontology tour -- a geology tour -- and an outside tour to see some of the locations Georgia O'Keefe painted) -- a visit to a sculptor's home and studio (Somers Randolph) -- the Georgia O'Keefe Museum -- a demonstration and lunch at the Santa Fe Cooking School -- just walking around in Albuquerque -- Taos -- and Santa Fe -- etc -- etc -- etc.  We had some excellent meals.  The two standouts were Antiquity in Albuquerque and Geronimo in Santa Fe.  All in all we did a lot in a week -- had a great time -- and as always -- are happy to be home.  

@Kachina624  -- Thanks again for your help with the weather before we left on our trip.  I now know the meaning of your forum name!!

Honored Contributor

@judy0330 

So glad you had a great visit -- even though the first day of Balloon Fiesta was "fogged out."  I've heard good things about Geronimo -- sounds like you picked a winner.  (I understand they offer some tempting desserts.)

And you missed our cold front!  It's been in the low 30s the past couple days so mornings on the balloon field have been frigid!

We appreciate our visitors and hope you'll stop by again. Heart

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee  We left Santa Fe yesterday morning to go to the airport in Albuquerque.  It was freezing!  Luckily I had gloves that I had brought for the balloons because I knew we would be leaving very early in the morning.  (We left our hotel at 4:45 a.m. -- and I'm sure you won't be surprised that there was already a lot of traffic!)  It was a little cool in the mornings during our trip -- but overall I would say that the weather was absolutely glorious!

Honored Contributor

Airabelle

Airabelle

@judy0330 

If you want to see a BIG balloon, that would be local favorite, Airabelle.  Unfortunately, she's not participating in this fiesta and it sounds like she's thinking about retiring in the next couple years.

Yup, she's being put out to pasture, so to speak. Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

@judy0330 wrote:

@just bee  We left Santa Fe yesterday morning to go to the airport in Albuquerque.  It was freezing!  Luckily I had gloves that I had brought for the balloons because I knew we would be leaving very early in the morning.  (We left our hotel at 4:45 a.m. -- and I'm sure you won't be surprised that there was already a lot of traffic!)  It was a little cool in the mornings during our trip -- but overall I would say that the weather was absolutely glorious!

@judy0330 

Santa Fe's always a little cooler than ABQ but both cities were cooler than usual this weekend.

Warms up fast when the sun's out, huh?

Hope that we made a good first impression.  We had no intention of moving here, but by the end of our visit we were surprised how much we liked it.  Next thing we knew we were buying a house.

I guess you could say we were "enchanted."

We still appreciate the climate and the green chile.  You might have to come out in May to experience the fragrance of Russian olive blossoms.  My favorite scent! Woman Very Happy