Honored Contributor

Re: Alaskan cruise...June or September?

The weather is likely to be better in September and you're not as likely to have hoards of kids. I assume you're planning to go to Denali? That's the best part of the trip. Hopefully you'll be there on a clear day so you can see Mt. McKinley which is breathtaking, but it's often "socked in". Today is a good day for McKinley...this is from the Denali "live cam".

photo 78f1d569-1aaf-4942-ad3d-bd2855248570.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

We keep trying to change the name back to Denali but the Ohio congressmen keep blocking it. McKinley is fromthere. He had nothing to do with Alaska. sigh

Honored Contributor

Depends where you want to go on the land part of your tour as much as anything. Already in September in Fairbanks, you're in late fall. Take a look at temperature averages - maybe on weatherbase.com.

I went the last week in August a few years back and it was obvious even then that the tourist areas were anticipating the end of the season. That didn't make us unhappy, just aware of the difference between being in Alaska and being on Long Island at that time of year.

Honored Contributor

I think September is when I would want to go. . June they still have 19 hours of daylight and more ( june 21 being the longest day), then it reverts.

If daylight matters to you, it is perfect in September! It gradually gets darker earlier from Sept 1 st Sunrise is about 6-6:30 am and sets about 9pm

I don't care for the really dark days or the daylight 22 hours a day myself. Two extreme for me. I know even people in Alaska have a hard time getting used to it. That would be my deciding factor.

My cousin has had 100 acres there and a fishing resort that backs up to the Kenai Peninsula. It is so beautiful it takes your breath away. The smell of the air, is so fresh and clean. The Alaskan people are so friendly and warm, they make you feel welcome. They are independent spirits, I like that

Honored Contributor

On 1/28/2015 traveler said:

We keep trying to change the name back to Denali but the Ohio congressmen keep blocking it. McKinley is fromthere. He had nothing to do with Alaska. sigh

I wish they would change it back to Denali. It's much more appropriate.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Our new Senator campaigned a lot pointing out his wife is native, Athabascan I think, so we have hope. But he is originally from Ohio so who knows.

Super Contributor

I went the first two weeks of September and the weather was perfect. Being from a warmer state and not wanting to be cold, I took a down jacket and it worked out great. I also took a lighter weight jacket. Have a great trip!
Esteemed Contributor

We went in June and it was super fun. There were kids that time but I like the action of kids myself. I have been on the cruises off season and it is just a little more ""quiet"" Either way it is a really nice cruise. I love the port visits. Going into Glacier Bay is a ""never forget"" moment.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Valued Contributor

Thank you to all who responded. Your thoughts have given me enthusiasm. I have never been on a cruise and, am anxious about any "boat" ride. I promised my DH that I would do an Alaskan cruise with him. Please share any more thoughts or excursions that are "not to be missed".

Respected Contributor

Definitely June..........by September winter is on you...................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo