Respected Contributor

Re: Alaska: 7.0 Quake - 11/30

After power returned to us we were fine. Broken glass from knickknack stuff, things fell off shelves, large picture fell so glass broke and DH’s dresser tipped. Every dresser drawer was on floor and emptied. 

Stores are closed and roads damaged but we have food here.

Felt like a jolt and jerk. Went on way too long for me and I am hating the aftershocks of 5.9 .

Honored Contributor

Re: Alaska: 7.0 Quake - 11/30

[ Edited ]

I lnow how they feel, the 1989 quake here was 6.9. The say they feel it was higher.  It was such a jolt!!!   I hope everyone stays safe, but I know the aftershocks stay with you forever.  The initial shock is over quick enough.  But those after shocks last months.  For the first two weeks it was all day.  Some were like 4.0. We had noisy aftershocks.  I think I still suffer from PTSD.  When I am upstairs and the garage door is closed My heart jumps!!  Or a  door slams. Oh, my gosh!

Alaska be well.  I am putting my arms out and hugging you.  May you feel peace through those aftershocks.  If you need help I know there will people to come do it.  I know it is dark and freezing this time of year, so that is an extra burden.. My cousin lived in Alaska, and I have visited.  The people are so incredible and resourceful   Just nice hearts.  Peace

Honored Contributor

Re: Alaska: 7.0 Quake (11/30-AM)

There was the big quake in alaska ion Good Friday around 64-65.  It was huge too.  In those days the graphs that register quakes were no where near the accuracy today!!!  They even say that the the 1989 which we were told at the tome was 5.8. Os now closer to 7.

@sidsmom

earthquakes are all different.  There are the ones we call rollers.  They aren't so noisy, but you can feel a little queasy  if it strong enough you loose balance. If you look up chandeliers may sway.

then there are the rattlers.  You can hear those coming. The earth makes a sound.  Dogs start barking non stop.  It takes a few seconds from the rattle to feeling it.  Its like if you take a full china cabinet and rock it.  You hear clattering.  Some things fall off shelf, a picture on wall goes askew, if it is big like 89 quake, you are driving you feel like you are getting a flat.  During the 89 quake I ran up stairs to grab 3 month old granddaughter.  We have a very narrow staircase with walls on each side.  They seem to sway.  I felt off balance. There is noise and now dogs are howling.  Cupboard doors open, and dishes can fall out.  If it is strong fridge doors open and stuff falls out.

then there are jolts.  It's like an elevator that is is in bad condition hits first floor with a bang, your neck kinda feels it.    The jolt feels like a rug is pulled out.  It is quick, sudden and often over in seconds.

Depending on where you are located to epicenter determines what falls in the house. I had a shop on the 89 quake that was along the epicenter.  There was little damage there, but as it radiated out the damage  occurs...only if it is big.

then there is the rattlers with a jolt and a roll!  That was in 89, and probably like today in alaska. You here the rattling it is light then gets louder and louder.  Then the ground jolts from under you and rolls,  some quakes are short and over in a few seconds.  The bad ones can last up to 45 seconds.  Seems like forever though.  

Honored Contributor

Nowdays, it seems like we rapidly transition from one disaster to another in this country.  We haven't recovered from the California fires and along comes the Alaska earthquake.  Makes you wonder what's next?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Nowdays, it seems like we rapidly transition from one disaster to another in this country.  We haven't recovered from the California fires and along comes the Alaska earthquake.  Makes you wonder what's next?

@Kachina624.. You are so right! It's been one thing after another this year! I'm getting so I hate turning on the news because I don't know what I'm going to hear next!! Think I'll just stay where it snows in NYS!!

Take care to all of you going through this earthquake and recovering from the terrible fires in California. My heart is with you.  

Honored Contributor

via facebook

UPDATE: Got in touch with family. Thank God they’re ok. No power, a lot of broken glass, water line issues, roads damaged, bridges damaged. They said it was very scary for all of them.

My mom is fine and wasn’t fazed - the nurses at her Alzheimer’s home take wonderful care of everyone.

My Great Niece went started to go into labor after the quake - she’s at the hospital, but it’s early labor - so she’s in the right place and the baby already passed her due date! (If the baby comes tomorrow - she’ll share a birthday with my Theresa.)

A lot of broken glass and a blown water heater at my nieces house - and damage at her sons house too...and he’s trying to get home with the bridges being damaged and being rerouted.

Thank you all for your messages and prayers for everyone there!!!

Blessings,
Jacque

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45.. Thank you for updating us and letting us all know what Jacque Gonzales had to say since she has family there. Sounds like a lot of damage but happy to hear her family is fine. Maybe there will be a new baby in her family tomorrow!! 

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty

Thank for those amazing descriptions!

Don’t get too much Mother Nature crazy here in DFW but we did

get a little earthquake several yrs ago on a Saturday morning that

jolted me out of bed! But of course, nothing in comparison!

Beautiful mountains in Alaska have to come from somewhere, eh? 

@Kachina624

What’s next: Given the Rocky Mountains are quite significant,

I’m surprised Colorado hasn’t had an earthquake in quite some time.

Don’t want to jinx it (!) but still have to wonder why.