Esteemed Contributor

Re: Alabama Mom's Facebook Apology

SuiGeneris, I know I will probably be taking all kinds of flak for this, but that's okay, we all have our own opinion. So since you asked...

I would say I totally applaud the mother for making her girls be accountable for their behavior. Making them do something as proactive as writing an apology note and donating from their allowance really gives them a chance to not only think about what they did wrong, but to have to give up something that they value. Those are good lessons.

My concern is that, as parents, we are always concerned with our kids putting too much information on social media. However, what do we expect when this is their example? I remember back when my daughter would misbehave in public, I would remove her from the situation before disciplining her. The object was not to humiliate her, but to teach her right from wrong.

In this case, I don't think I would have handled it as this mother did. I understand the mother wanted to reach out to the other woman, but I don’t think it would have been life changing had the woman not been contacted. We’re all aware that teenagers can misbehave when out alone, and the woman spoke to them at the theater to make her feelings known.

It’s easy to say actions have consequences, and that’s true, but the consequences should be equal to the offense. I just don’t think sharing a thirteen year old’s indiscretion with hundreds of thousands of people is appropriate. When did the object become mortification and humiliation? Those were the words used by the mother, and I agree. I know I would have been mortified if my mother shared my teenage indiscretions with hundreds of thousands of people, and I’m none the worse because she didn't. Maybe these girls will be none the worse as well. I don’t know.

Again, it’s just my opinion and I know many will disagree. Luckily, as parents, we are free to decide what is best for our own children. Maybe this mother felt she did her best but it’s not something I would do.

Valued Contributor

On 4/1/2015 SusieQ_2 said:

SuiGeneris, I know I will probably be taking all kinds of flak for this, but that's okay, we all have our own opinion. So since you asked...

I would say I totally applaud the mother for making her girls be accountable for their behavior. Making them do something as proactive as writing an apology note and donating from their allowance really gives them a chance to not only think about what they did wrong, but to have to give up something that they value. Those are good lessons.

My concern is that, as parents, we are always concerned with our kids putting too much information on social media. However, what do we expect when this is their example? I remember back when my daughter would misbehave in public, I would remove her from the situation before disciplining her. The object was not to humiliate her, but to teach her right from wrong.

In this case, I don't think I would have handled it as this mother did. I understand the mother wanted to reach out to the other woman, but I don’t think it would have been life changing had the woman not been contacted. We’re all aware that teenagers can misbehave when out alone, and the woman spoke to them at the theater to make her feelings known.

It’s easy to say actions have consequences, and that’s true, but the consequences should be equal to the offense. I just don’t think sharing a thirteen year old’s indiscretion with hundreds of thousands of people is appropriate. When did the object become mortification and humiliation? Those were the words used by the mother, and I agree. I know I would have been mortified if my mother shared my teenage indiscretions with hundreds of thousands of people, and I’m none the worse because she didn't. Maybe these girls will be none the worse as well. I don’t know.

Again, it’s just my opinion and I know many will disagree. Luckily, as parents, we are free to decide what is best for our own children. Maybe this mother felt she did her best but it’s not something I would do.

Susie_Q2,

Interesting take on the situation. That's why I asked you if your ambivalent feelings about the story were because it had become "too much" because of public shaming, since the story has now become viral.

Unfortunately [or fortunately, depending on one's viewpoint], that was due to the fact that the sheriff's office made the decision to share it on the Jefferson County [Alabama] Sheriff Facebook page. If the apology had been limited to the mother's Facebook page, it probably would not have ever been seen by the "mystery" woman, but it would have served the purpose of the girls being shamed by a much smaller sphere of influence, limited to the friends and relatives of the girls. Perhaps that was the mother's original intent? We'll never know, since the entire world now has access to the story. [The story is online on CNN, all the major networks and other news venues.]

While the story was of interest to me because we hear too much of all the [unpunished] bad behavior of teens these days, I'm not sure how I feel about the world-wide coverage. It seems to have been offered as a sort of morality tale by the news sources: "It's not wrong until you get caught."

Thanks for your thoughts, Susie_Q2. I appreciate your input.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde
Esteemed Contributor

You're welcome SuiGeneris, and thanks for posting the story. Regardless of how we feel about it, it does give us a chance to think about how we would handle such a situation.

I did notice you mentioned before that the mother may not have realized that the story would go viral before she posted it to her Facebook page and I didn't address that. As a mom, she should have considered that. Isn't that one of the reasons we want our kids to be careful what they share online? There's always the chance that things will go viral and once it's out there, there's no taking it back.

Respected Contributor

I would hope that I would find a better way of disciplining my child than public humiliation.

Valued Contributor

On 4/1/2015 SusieQ_2 said:

You're welcome SuiGeneris, and thanks for posting the story. Regardless of how we feel about it, it does give us a chance to think about how we would handle such a situation.

I did notice you mentioned before that the mother may not have realized that the story would go viral before she posted it to her Facebook page and I didn't address that. As a mom, she should have considered that. Isn't that one of the reasons we want our kids to be careful what they share online? There's always the chance that things will go viral and once it's out there, there's no taking it back.

Agreed. Parents, educators and government officials are constantly warning our children to be careful about what they post on social media. That caution should extend to the parents of the children as well.

I know I worry when I see some of the pictures my daughter-in-law posts on Facebook - pictures of her nieces and nephews [no grandchildren, yet!]. I also have a niece who has a blog and she has posted pictures of her daughter in various states of undress and I worry that a pedophile will stumble onto her site, and use those innocent pictures for something that is as far removed from "innocent" as one can get.

You can't be too careful when you enter the internet, IMO.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde
Honored Contributor

We always held our son accountable for his actions but I am just not sure about public shaming.he was brought home by the police once for speeding.the officer did not get a reading on his speed but knew he was driving too fast.I was a little miffed with the officer at first but after thinking it over I realized that this could slow my son down and possibly save a life.The officer left and we imposed the penalty...no driving for two weeks.My son understood and wasn't happy but he felt it was fair.
Trusted Contributor

On 4/1/2015 Tissyanne said: I have my own personal opinion of this, and don't care to share. Everyone enjoy your day.
Just curious--why take the time to post only to say you weren't going to comment?
Honored Contributor

I read this yesterday and I thought it had to be about the first time I saw a parent or kid take something to Facebook with actually the right attitude. Usually, it seems to be some whiny thing where somebody, who probably deserved what they got, take it public to get everybody to feel sorry for them.

I like that she was genuinely trying to extend the apology to the other woman. I never heard if the other person got the message but, probably by now, she has since it became viral.

Super Contributor

Wow - and Rebecca Boyd hopes to see the girls again. What a terrific story - they could all end up being friends beyond this.

I hope the Boyd family will find a way out of this unemployment, too.

Thanks for posting this, SuiGeneris.

Honored Contributor

On 4/1/2015 CardinalGirl said:
On 4/1/2015 Tissyanne said: I have my own personal opinion of this, and don't care to share. Everyone enjoy your day.
Just curious--why take the time to post only to say you weren't going to comment?
Cardinal Girl, I don't need a reprimand from you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion regarding family discipline, and I don't wish to share mine.