Honored Contributor

Re: Al-Anon engagement/wedding shower party

On 3/9/2014 JaneMarple said:

I have explained to my four kids that a party is what you make it, alcohol is not necessary if you're having fun and enjoying one another's company. If one needs alcohol to have fun then in my opinion something is wrong.

It's not that alcohol is needed to have fun or to enjoy another's company. Most people enjoy one another and have fun shopping or having lunch together. But where is the celebration in that?

A celebration needs something other than the mundane every other day activity. What does one use to toast the couple, a Coke and a smile?

Valued Contributor

My daughter got married almost three years ago. My daughter and son-in-law don't drink. It has nothing to do with being former alcoholics. They just don't drink. I don't see a big thing about it. And why do people coming to a party expect alcoholic beverages? I don't get it. It's up to the party givers to decide what to serve.

Super Contributor

On 3/9/2014 MrsLorraine said:

Where is it written that adults have to have alcohol at various functions? I drink occasionally but would not be put off if the event didn't have any.

JaneMarple, I agree with you 100%

Isn't is rather shocking how many people seem to require that alcohol be served? and take offense when it isn't?

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Where did the OP say she "required" alcohol to be served - or even that she was in the least offended by its absence.

Her concern was that not knowing the situation, she might have inadvertently taken a bottle of wine as a gift - and would have been embarrassed.

Horrors that she even considered that I guess.

I am so tired of people looking for something to be offended and/or judgmental about.

Honored Contributor

On 3/9/2014 Dell said:

My daughter got married almost three years ago. My daughter and son-in-law don't drink. It has nothing to do with being former alcoholics. They just don't drink. I don't see a big thing about it. And why do people coming to a party expect alcoholic beverages? I don't get it. It's up to the party givers to decide what to serve.

It is up to the hosts to decide what to serve but they should consider their guests when deciding. A good host wants her guests to enjoy the occasion so when inviting vegans, food should be included that they enjoy and alcohol should be provided for those who like a glass of wine.

Respected Contributor

If I attend a party it is to enjoy other people's company. I do not need to be told what is being served.

I go because I like the people or someone who is being honored. I am diabetic. If there is food that I cannot eat I find something else. ie the veggies and salads or the protein. I do not make a scene.

I don't give a hoot whether alcohol is being served or not.

Super Contributor

On 3/9/2014 occasional rain said:
On 3/9/2014 Dell said:

It is up to the hosts to decide what to serve but they should consider their guests when deciding. A good host wants her guests to enjoy the occasion so when inviting vegans, food should be included that they enjoy and alcohol should be provided for those who like a glass of wine.

One does not need alcohol to have a good time a party.

One can have just as much fun without the booze.

If someone can't make it through a few hours at a party without having to have a drink, then maybe they have an alcohol problem.

Was Yuban, then changed to Plaid Pants due to forum upgrade, and apparently, I'm back to being Yuban.
Honored Contributor

On a wedding invite just like the meal (buffet style, sit down, cocktails etc.) should be on there so guests know what to expect... alcohol or non-alcohol should be notated. Same with what the attire is, and if you can't wear shoes. Common courtesy.
Honored Contributor

On 3/9/2014 Yuban3 said:
On 3/9/2014 occasional rain said:
On 3/9/2014 Dell said:

One does not need alcohol to have a good time a party.

One can have just as much fun without the booze.

If someone can't make it through a few hours at a party without having to have a drink, then maybe they have an alcohol problem.

No where did I indicate that alcohol was needed to have fun nor did I post that anyone couldn't make it through a few hours without having a drink.

A party is a social gathering where guests are meant to be entertained. That a guest should be happy to attend a party where Kraft mac & cheese along with apple juice is served seems expecting a lot from a guest.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think they had to say anything nor should anyone assume if there would be alcohol or not. And touché to them. I like when theres no booze, that's a plus for me. When I was younger and we would go to receptions there were some arguments all falling back on too much drinking.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

The weddings that don't want alcohol , say it's an x reason,.. But they really want to save $. Unless it's a AA/religious event. IMO...