Regular Contributor

Re: Akward request to attend funeral

No matter how old the sons are, they still lost their mother.  They want their Dad to be with them during this difficult time.  At least that this is what I am gathering from the post.  If he is able to attend, he probably should.

"Some people look for a beautiful place. Others make a place beautiful."
Esteemed Contributor

@ManyMeows wrote:

👤 👤 👤 👤 👤 

The ex-wife Has Been Married 5 Times ......

Are the other 4 exes planning to attend along with their family members to support them?

I would hope if any of them had children with him they would go. If there were no children, then it’s a moot point. We aren’t talking about that.

Esteemed Contributor

@ManyMeows wrote:

🤔  None of us have the inside scoop regarding what really went on during the marriage, but I strongly suspect that it wasn't a walk through the park.

But a woman married 5 times speaks volumes.

What does how many times she was married have to do with this. Again, a moot point. His sons want him there for support.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

When John McCain and Edward Kennedy died, both of their ex wives attended their funerals. Both were very thoughtful to have them attend.

OMG, talk about apples and oranges. These were public figures who had to maintain an image. Hardly the same as an average family.  I can't believe some of the posts here.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@RetRN 

Someday when the father needs his son's, I hope thay tell him that he needs to take care of himself.

What in the post indicates that the father is looking for his son's to take care of him? I doubt that he has those expectations. 

Honored Contributor

Posters seem to be split 50-50 between those sympathizing with the father and those sympathizing with the sons.

Trusted Contributor

I don't see what the big deal is.

That is their Mother.

Of course they would want their Father to come to her funeral, to pay his respects and to be "together" as a family, one last time.

This is the last time before she goes into the ground that they all can be "together."

I hope the OP encourages her husband to go. Pettiness and jealousy has no place at the end of someone's life.

And the sons wanting their Father to join them at the funeral isn't "immature."

If he doesn't go, I think he will always regret it.

Why can't he and the OP both go?

Go together and offer comfort.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I may have missed a comment on this, but I wonder if the sons are paying for this and going to ask their father to chip in.  Just a thought.  I'm thinking to call the dad so  many times, there may be more to it.  I could be way off base...just a thought.  

Other thought is, we weren't there to know how this couple when married, got along.  Something went wrong to cause a divorce.  So many factors we don't know the whole story.

By now the funeral is over.

Honored Contributor

The mother, like Elizabeth Taylor, was married five times. She must have had quite the appeal, and perhaps she chose men like the son's father who appears lacking in empathy and rather self involved. 

Trusted Contributor

If the ex passed around the 27th, shouldn't the funeral be going on by now, or soon? 

Did the husband go or is he going? 

No matter how many opined here, it was his and only his decision all along.