Honored Contributor

We usually fly out of Newark.  Week days, early morning is often chaos with business people.  The lines are shorter late morning and early afternoon.  After 5 is hectic again with business people returning home or leaving for early morning meetings.

Summer is always hectic.

Trusted Contributor

For me, the flight delays that occur later in the day is much more annoying than having to go through long security lines.

Esteemed Contributor

I fly early in the morning.  I also get there early.  So far no long lines.  I also check my bags and carry on just a small tote bag to put in my cell and reading material (of course ID and some necessary items)

I have not done Precheck as yet.  I have no fingerprints and have not gotten around to get the Id thing done.  

Valued Contributor
Frequent flyer and business traveler here. I am on at least four flights a week. Early morning and early evening flights are generally full of us business travlers. Mid day is generally leisure travlelers. Go to TSA website to read and follow rules. Be prepared and make sure you are completely ready to go through security. I am actually rarely delayed, not to say it hasn't happened. I am loyal to Southwest and they are excellent.
Super Contributor

Thanks everyone, for the very helpful info and advice.  

I would be flying out of DFW to LAX, or to Maui.

“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Esteemed Contributor

It depends where you are flying to and from.  I fly out of either NJ or NY....I am there early and have never had a problem with long lines.  I also have global access and fly international mostly.   

Respected Contributor

I agree with others to get the earliest flight out. They leave on time. Later in the day is when flights get delayed. 

Honored Contributor

Definitely early AM. I hope you have a safe trip and a wonderful time.

Honored Contributor

Earliest possible flight of the day.

TSA Pre Check in the States - $85, good for five years

internationally, Global Entry - $100, good for five years

Respected Contributor

We fly out of LaGuardia or Newark and usually book  morning flights.  They are sometimes delayed because they originate from smaller airports in the Northeast.  A few times our flight was cancelled and we were bumped to stand-by on the next flight.  Because flights from these airports tend to be filled, stand-by can mean a long wait.

A lot of international flights are PM flights. In May we had one to Paris.  The security line was about 2 hours long.

Wednesday my husband had a noon flight.  Security took 15 minutes and his flight left on time.

You just never know.