Respected Contributor

Re: Airport TSA & "Contraband"

I still think about my all time favorite best ever manicure kit that I forgot to transfer from my carry-on to my checked luggage. Live and learn.

I'm a little surprised that no one at the tournament warned your grandson about the TSA rules. If I were you, I'd call the person who was the director of the tournament just to ask if in the future TSA rules could be noted on their website or paperwork. And while you're on the phone with this person, ask if he or she could call the airport and give it another try. You never know -- miracles happen. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Oh no!  Smiley Sad Smiley Sad   I'm so sorry.

You'd think they would have categories of 'contraband', some of which could be retrieved.  It's not like he'd be trying to get them on a plane again, rather just trying to get his property back.  

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because of the active live links to other retailers.

Respected Contributor

when i read this is see, he had a choice to keep the bats, if he wanted to check them.

it was inconvienent for him, so the bats were forfited. 

he had a choice, and he made it. why is gramma all up in arms over it? 

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

Could those bats be covered as property under his parents homeowners policy? If so his photos could be very helpful in getting reimbursed.

@patbz 

GREAT idea!  

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@patbz wrote:

Could those bats be covered as property under his parents homeowners policy? If so his photos could be very helpful in getting reimbursed.

@patbz 

GREAT idea!  

I thank everyone for offering ideas and help.

It has been greatly appreciated.

It is always nice if you have an issue to post here and receive so many opinions and ideas.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

when i read this is see, he had a choice to keep the bats, if he wanted to check them.

it was inconvienent for him, so the bats were forfited. 

he had a choice, and he made it. why is gramma all up in arms over it? 

@kittyloo 

You obviously missed the part where he checked in too close to take off for the bats to be checked as luggage.   It was too late.  His choices were to surrender the bats ...  or keep them and not get on the plane.  

Esteemed Contributor

Lots of comments about TSA experiences lately. In this case I am surprised no one reminded players to check in the bats and not try to take them on the plane.  With that said many of my friends were lucky enough to get items back, took a bit of time and patience. 

And also I would add comments about handling cleaning and soap products containing glycerine.  Many are stopped, hands swabbed and then questioned about making bombs. My friends, two of them and even my husband. 

It is always a good idea to be aware of possible problems and attempt to avoid any situation that might slow down or terminate the flight. 

Respected Contributor

We had  a place near DFW airport that has lost or forgotten luggage, briefcases, stuff left on planes, and some things confiscated while going through the security process. It's all for sale, cheap. My sister worked for an airline before she retired and she used to go there regularly. She collected a nice set of Hartmann luggage over a few visits, and several other things. BTW, the luggage is still packed with someone else's belongings. She said some items were bizarre, and others were hilarious. I hope you are able to rescue your son's bats. 

Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

My grandson was flying home from a baseball tournament with his expensive bats with him.

TSA advised he could not take the bats onboard even though he had a ton of identifying info with him that he was, indeed, playing baseball.

He was forced to leave his bats if he wanted to go home on the plane.

Has anyone gone throught this and recovered their property?  I would appreciate any advice anyone has.

@Mersha wrote:

My grandson was flying home from a baseball tournament with his expensive bats with him.

TSA advised he could not take the bats onboard even though he had a ton of identifying info with him that he was, indeed, playing baseball.

He was forced to leave his bats if he wanted to go home on the plane.

Has anyone gone throught this and recovered their property?  I would appreciate any advice anyone has.

@Mersha 

The Readers Digest newsletter this week had an article on items confiscated by TSA, and wondered how it all turned out.

If the link doesn't work you can read it on  rd.com/article.   

What Happens to TSA-Confiscated Items—and How to Get Them Back (rd.com)