Honored Contributor

Re: Airlines to Stop Serving Alcohol in Coach

@decaf wrote:

@chessyladyFirst class passengers are much better behaved than coach passengers. 

I can't cite any studies but I was a flight attendant.  I wouldn't care to be a flight attendant these days.  Everyone thinks it's all about THEM.

@decaf I flew first class just a little over a week ago and yes found people to be very polite....but so were the flight attendants.  Maybe being treated better brings out the better qualities in people.

Honored Contributor

I don't drink. Will never forget a cross country flight back home, sitting behind the most obnoxious drunk couple. Couldn't believe they just kept getting served. Airlines make lots of money from alcohol.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@haddon9    I know of absolutely no other activity where you become so intimate with perfect strangers as you do flying in Coach.  I hate every minute of it.  Fly First Class every chance you get. 

How's your mom doing? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Smacks of classism, does it not?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

Southwest and American are the two airlines that will continue not to serve alcohol in coach so far. The flight attendants' union is calling on the feds to issue an alcohol ban for both airport bars and during the flights. Yes rules are made because of the behavior of the few but the number of angry encounters are increasing. A flight attendant should not lose teeth and be assaulted even if they are unkind to passengers. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@haddon9    I know of absolutely no other activity where you become so intimate with perfect strangers as you do flying in Coach.  I hate every minute of it.  Fly First Class every chance you get. 

How's your mom doing? 

@Kachina624 Sadly mom passed away May 17.  She was 94 and had a good life.I've been here for two weeks and going back home on Sunday.

I agree about coach.  It's hard to go back after being treated well in First Class.

Honored Contributor

Alcohol at sporting events has also become a problem. It ruins things for other people when those that choose to imbibe become rude, obnoxious, and act out 

Honored Contributor

@haddon9    So sorry to hear about your mom.  She had a good, long life.  Hopefully things will soon get back to normal for you and no more airplane trips to Florida.  Too hot there now. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Excuse me if thas has already been discussed, by why not limit the number of drinks?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Excuse me if thas has already been discussed, by why not limit the number of drinks?

It would be a logistical nightmare. The FAA mandate for cabin crew is just 1 for every 50 passengers. Using Southwest as an example (since they're an all coach airline), a 737-800 seats 175 passengers. That would require just 4 flight attendants. To expect them to keep track of how much alcohol a passenger has purchased would be impossible. Vouchers, drink tickets, etc can all be accumulated and counterfited. Limiting the number of times that a credit card can be swiped would just result in multiple cards being used. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~