Honored Contributor

Re: Airlines to Stop Serving Alcohol in Coach

So what.  People show up to the airport half in the bag.

A couple of years ago DH and I had a 6:00 p.m. flight home from Florida and there were several people already drunk when they boarded the plane.  They were loud and obnoxious and a verbal altercation ensued between one of the drunks and another passenger he was sitting next to.  Luckily it quickly subsided.  

Honored Contributor

I think this is a good idea.  When they stopped serving food they should have stopped serving drinks.  Obviously from all the incidents in the past few years it has been proved that the American public does not know how to properly behave. 

Honored Contributor

Flying is so dehydrating anyway, I can't imagine drinking alcohol on a flight. 

Respected Contributor

Behavior problems on airplanes have to do with more than just alcohol consumption.

Honored Contributor

Does anybody else recall this 'reality show' centered on Southwest Airlines, many years ago?

I remember a number of times on this show when they wouldn't let people who were clearly drunk board.  that made sense to me.

Honored Contributor

Definitely don't serve alcohol on flights that don't have meals. (I've never tried to order alcohol on a flight so I don't know if they even do that.) Two little cookies or maybe seven almonds and a never ending stream of alcohol? I don't want to see that side of some people. Please keep your inhibitions in an uptight position throughout the flight, thanks.

I do wonder if maybe things like this have always happened but there were no cell phones to record it.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Definitely don't serve alcohol on flights that don't have meals. (I've never tried to order alcohol on a flight so I don't know if they even do that.) Two little cookies or maybe seven almonds and a never ending stream of alcohol? I don't want to see that side of some people. Please keep your inhibitions in an uptight position throughout the flight, thanks.

I do wonder if maybe things like this have always happened but there were no cell phones to record it.

Yes, but it has gotten much worse. From The NY Times

Since Jan. 1, the Federal Aviation Administration has received about 2,500 reports of unruly behavior by passengers, including about 1,900 reports of passengers refusing to comply with a federal mandate that they wear masks on planes.

The agency said that in the past it did not track reports of unruly passengers because the numbers had been fairly consistent over the years, but that it began receiving reports of a “significant increase” in disruptive behavior starting in late 2020.

“We have just never seen anything like this,” Sara Nelson, the international president of the Association of Flight Attendants, said during an online meeting with federal aviation officials on Wednesday. “We’ve never seen it so bad.”

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jonbon wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Yes, but it has gotten much worse. From The NY Times

Since Jan. 1, the Federal Aviation Administration has received about 2,500 reports of unruly behavior by passengers, including about 1,900 reports of passengers refusing to comply with a federal mandate that they wear masks on planes.

The agency said that in the past it did not track reports of unruly passengers because the numbers had been fairly consistent over the years, but that it began receiving reports of a “significant increase” in disruptive behavior starting in late 2020.

“We have just never seen anything like this,” Sara Nelson, the international president of the Association of Flight Attendants, said during an online meeting with federal aviation officials on Wednesday. “We’ve never seen it so bad.”

@jonbon, it's yet one more glimpse into the fun house mirror that is now our country.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

Behavior problems on airplanes have to do with more than just alcohol consumption.

@jonbon ,

I totally agree Behavior 'Problems' on airplanes, and within this country has become a large society/ group pertaining to their activities and or their customs ! 

I have flown years throughout the world, and from coast to coast. I have never witnessed any type of unruly people on an air flight, or read what is happening, now, within churches, social gatherings, et cetera ..on and on...... 

Absolutely, I do not plaster any one hundred percent blame - 'alcohol' - on a flight.   

Although,

I have every reason to never approve of alcohol in quantity - period, especially ..."NO" -NO" when driving.  

A glass of white wine, one glass of champagne with one's meal usually is the limit.

If carrying on board, then I am not of any knowledge  what some may be doing. 

You are correct with your post w/ opinion.

Opinion for myself:: 

" ...this weird unrest became increasingly inappropriate / animal like behavior beginning -YES- about the beginning of 2020, and definitely massive before.