Respected Contributor

Airlines to Stop Serving Alcohol in Coach

Due to the violence on airlines, some airlines have announced that they will no longer serve alcohol in coach. While I think it is a good idea, why limit it to coach? Does the price you pay for your ticket in first class include alcohol? If so why not reduce the amount of the ticket and ban alcohol regardless of class. Is an asumption being made that people who can afford a first class ticket are somehow better behaved? I know people who must have alcohol during the flight will put it in a carryon or on their person. As a recovering alcoholic, I know how bad that addiction is. As Rodney King said "can't we all just get along?"

Honored Contributor

Re: Airlines to Stop Serving Alcohol in Coach

The average flight is 2 hours or there about.  You're in sad shape if you can't go 2 hours without a drink. 

There are as many idiots in First Class as there are in Coach.  Ban all alcohol service!

People might not be so stressed in Coach if they weren't crammed in thigh to thigh like sardines. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm should be interesting   lol

Honored Contributor

@chessylady   I am all for banning the alcohol.  I haven't followed the stories of the in-flight alcoholic battles -  were they in both coach and first class?  If so, I, too, would ban the drink on the whole plane.  If not, maybe the airlines are working with experience, and stepping into the ban slowly to see what the results are.

I have a relatively short flight scheduled in the near future.  For one lasting many hours, I would choose an airline participating the the ban over any not doing so.  I am not an alcoholic myself, but I lived with one in my own family and refused to live with another.  

Honored Contributor

Aren't there bars in airports?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

The phrasing of the OP is misleading. 

Two airlines, American and Southwest, have announced that they are delaying the resumption of alcohol sales. American won't sell it in coach until sometime in September and Southwest, who only has one class of service, doesn't have a time table when it will return. 

Here's an article with correct info:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/29/southwest-pauses-plan-to-resume-alcohol-sales-after-flight-attendant... 

Most US airlines reduced or eliminated domestic alcohol service as part of their COVID protocols. Delta didn't serve it all for several months, regardless of class of service. Then they brought back wine shooters and beer in premium cabins, and now have added a couple of other pre-mixed cocktails, but only in First and the Comfort Plus section of economy. American and United have had full beverage service up front. It's been quite the topic of discussion on frequent flyer message boards. 

And yes, the price of a premium cabin ticket does include alcohol and meals (if applicable). The reduction in price of a premium cabin ticket if alcohol were to be discontinued completely would be negligible. 

If you get caught serving yourself alcohol from your own stash while on-board, you'll be having an unpleasant conversation with law enforcement when the plane lands. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

When I fly to see relatives in another state it is 5 hours in the air.  Yes I can handle no alcohol but sometimes a wine or two helps.  Too bad people think being disruptive in public is somehow a "right".

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

I did a quick search and found that certain airlines were going to continue bans on alchol, which were imposed with Covid.

I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to fly right now.  The idea of being crammed into uncomfortable seats under crowded conditions has no appeal for me - and, I don't drink (alcohol) at all.

OP, to which article are you referring?  Was the violence alcohol induced, or is this a precaution.  

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

Typical reaction to solving a problem..."Let's punish everyone in coach for the sins of a few."  

Let's punish all law abiding citizens because of some who disobey the laws.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MarieIG wrote:

I did a quick search and found that certain airlines were going to continue bans on alchol, which were imposed with Covid.

I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to fly right now.  The idea of being crammed into uncomfortable seats under crowded conditions has no appeal for me - and, I don't drink (alcohol) at all.

OP, to which article are you referring?  Was the violence alcohol induced, or is this a precaution.  

Unless the violent parties were drinking in the airport bar prior to boarding, or illegaly drinking from their own stash on board ( you can bring your own alcohol on board, but you can't drink it unless it's served to you by the carrier), it wasn't alcohol induced. There's no alcohol being sold in coach. These were just garden variety jerks. The fear is that resumption of alcohol sales in coach will make the behavior of some passengers even worse. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~