Respected Contributor

Re: Airline Passenger Reaches Out To Screaming, Tearful Child

I find it surprising that a total stranger would put hands on someone else's child holding them close and rocking them. Maybe he was stunned into submission as usually a special needs child doesn't like to be touched. She was brave but a different outcome would have labeled her reckless. As someone mentioned she has a degree in Education but does not think of herself as a professional.  

Honored Contributor

As I read over the posts I can say I agree with some of what everyone had to say about this situation. As someone who does not like to fly, a screaming or fussy child on a flight would be a horror for me. The way people react on a flight to stresses today makes me think it's dangerous to fly with a child or anyone who is going to cause a ruckus.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Oznell wrote:

A familiar story.  A child won't stop crying, on a transatlantic flight.  This time, it is a special needs child, and a very very special, caring woman who makes a difference.

http://www.southernliving.com/news/charlotte-woman-soothes-stranger-on-flight?utm_campaign=southernl...

Stories like this give us hope-- love to hear them!

@Oznell  She is a professional so knew what to do.  I don't think the average person would know how to handle a situation like that.

I agree. The average person wouldn't have a clue - and could possibly unintentionally make things worse. The best intentions in the world could backfire if they are used without knowledge. This was nice, what happened, but I don't think one can or should assume that the average person would have the same result.

Being kind to the parent, however, anyone could do, and ask if there was some way they might help.

I agree that not just anyone could have pulled off what she did, but.....I do believe that in any given situation where things are going poorly, there is usually someone (at least one someone, often more than one) who will have something of value to offer, but we often don't step up and offer it.

Something like this presented the opportunity for several different kinds of helping. What she did with/for the child was a big one. But even if she hadn't been there, I'm sure there were people who had experience to offer help to supporting the mother, others who might have helped keep the rest of the passengers calm had he not calmed down, etc. 

I think this story is a great reminder for us to step up and do what we can, even if it isn't the biggest thing that needs done in any given situation. Sometimes a couple of little things to help, even if we don't have the skills/power to be the big help, will make a difference in so many ways. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

this story is really close to me.

I was on a non stop flight from Chicago to Hawaii with my then 6 month old son (he is 44 yr now). He screamed the whole way over. We were living over there while dh was in the military.

it was the most miserable flight. Not one passenger would help me. All i got was yelled at by the attendants to keep my baby quiet which i tried anything and everything. My son would not stop screaming. I was crying myself near the end of the flight. I was just a miserable wreck.  I would never recommend a long flight or really any flight with small children.

There are times in life when a family must fly with young children and babies, there just is no other option but for the most part, parents choose to fly with their babies and toddlers and depending on the child and how prepared the parents are, it can be an absolute horror show for the other passengers and the crew.  That's just a fact and it's totally unrealistic to expect people to act like everything is fine and wonderful.  I think we try but after an hour, the howling and crying and general upset gets to you.  You can't ignore it.  It's just one of the hazzards of flying these days.  It doesn't happen often and that's the good part.  I'm sure I would help a parent with her stroller and I'd help her put with her luggage and hold the kid while she went to the bathroom but that's as far as I would go......trying to help with screaming, yelling  kid, no I wouldn't do that.

Honored Contributor

Wow, mominohio, I must say I've noticed your unique combo of wisdom, common sense and compassion before, but those qualities come together so beautifully in this post of yours.  Well said!

Contributor

We can always help each other!  Maybe you can't get up & give physical comfort to an upset child,but an understanding smile, or word of encouragement to Mom might help her keep going!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell thank you so much for this post as I always love hearing about how complete strangers reach out to help someone in need, especially mothers.  @Mominohio thank you for your beautifully written reply.  This thread made me shed more than a few tears but also lifted up my spirits too.  Heart

Honored Contributor

You're a sweetie, mtc.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

You're a sweetie, mtc.

Oh thank you @Oznell and right back at you but this reminded me of a trip I took before I married my now ex-husband.  We were in the Caribbean and because of his work ended up on separate planes flying home.  It was a small airport and there was a maybe 10-12 year old acting up like I have never seen . . . everyone was hoping he would not be on their flight.  My heart broke for his clearly exhausted parents, again I had never seen anything like this before (this was the late 90's).  When I boarded the flight many passengers were more than upset that he was on our flight including a crew member flying on a pass that got up and sat next to me in one of the most undesirable seats (last row in the plane) because he was seated in proximity to the family.  Once the plane took off he never made a sound and the flight proceeded without incident.  Fast forward to these days and I realize he was probably autistic but wasn't recognized back then.  I don't know what they did to soothe him before the flight took off (because of his size I wonder if they waited to maybe give him something to calm him down) but I can still remember almost every second of that hour before we boarded as it clearly wasn't a tantrum or undisciplined child.  Thank goodness we have progressed and will continue to progress to help these children and their families but that hour will stay with me for the remainder of my life.  Heart