Respected Contributor

@germanshepherdlove wrote:

I have also read that the airline industry has gone to great lengths to make sure the air you and their employees breathe is clean by using the latest in hepa filters.  It has been further stated that the air is cleaner than what you are breathing in your home.  

Unrelated to that, a 50ish doctor who recently flew and wore a face mask but no eye protection got covid.  He stated that as a runner every day for years it took him down with severe lung issues that he continues to have despite now being covid-19 negative.  He goes on to say that his mistake was not wearing eye protection while on that flight. 

@germanshepherdlove :  Is this the doctor you are referring to:

NBC doctor who claimed he caught the virus on a plane through his eyeball says he tested negative for the virus and NEVER had it.....dailymail

Valued Contributor

@Hoovermom No!

Honored Contributor

Re: Airline Middle Seats

[ Edited ]

American Airlines was the first to say they were going to operate at full capacity...not that many people are rushing to buy airline tickets, so they will prob rarely, if ever, reach full capacity on most flights. DD works for a major airline and she said the numbers are even worse than the news reports say. My son in-law flies everywhere 4 days a week for his job and he said he is usually the only person wearing a mask. I just hope he manages to stay healthy. The airlines are all willing to risk lives if it means avoiding bankruptcy.

Honored Contributor
Road trip!!!!!
Trusted Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

American Airlines was the first to say they were going to operate at full capacity...not that many people are rushing to buy airline tickets, so they will prob rarely, if ever, reach full capacity on most flights. DD works for a major airline and she said the numbers are even worse than the news reports say. My son in-law flies everywhere 4 days a week for his job and he said he is usually the only person wearing a mask. I just hope he manages to stay healthy. The airlines are all willing to risk lives if it means avoiding bankruptcy.

American Airlines, among others, received billions from the American taxpayer.  I wondered then If there shouldn't have been some strings attached.  I guess everything had to be done in such a rush.  But for many people, if not most, tickets were not even refunded.  I won't be flying.  

Respected Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@germanshepherdlove wrote:

I have also read that the airline industry has gone to great lengths to make sure the air you and their employees breathe is clean by using the latest in hepa filters.  It has been further stated that the air is cleaner than what you are breathing in your home.  

Unrelated to that, a 50ish doctor who recently flew and wore a face mask but no eye protection got covid.  He stated that as a runner every day for years it took him down with severe lung issues that he continues to have despite now being covid-19 negative.  He goes on to say that his mistake was not wearing eye protection while on that flight. 

@germanshepherdlove :  Is this the doctor you are referring to:

NBC doctor who claimed he caught the virus on a plane through his eyeball says he tested negative for the virus and NEVER had it.....dailymail

** @Hoovermom  That's the same doctor I read about.

Original story was reported  May 14, 2020

New report

nbcboston July 8, 2020 

After Severe Illness, NBC's Dr. Joseph Fair Tests Negative for COVID-19 Antibodies

Doctors assumed Dr. Joseph Fair, a runner, had the coronavirus when he was severely sick in May. But with a negative antibody test, his illness "remains an undiagnosed mystery." Now Fair is trying to figure out what made him sick if it wasn't COVID-19.

Regular Contributor

My DD is a Flight Attendant who flies for American! They have had full capacity flights, and a quarter of people on flight. The other day she had 30 people on her flight, one time there was 1 man on their flight. She has been flying through this whole pandemic, they wear masks, everyone. They do not give out snacks or drinks. She is considered an essential worker. Has had a lot of flights to and from Atlanta with FED workers. 

Honored Contributor

I had to fly a few weeks ago on American Airlines.  The flight was 90% full!  I thought it would be perhaps 50% full.  We all had to wear a mask, but it still freaked me out.  AA did not block middle seats. 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

My son has to fly a lot which has always sort of worried me. Now  it's a very real concern. He was on American Airlines fairly recently. It's bad enough to be confined like that and now some passengers have become unruly, more so than in the past.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Airline Middle Seats

[ Edited ]

@Silver Lining wrote:

My son has to fly a lot which has always sort of worried me. Now  it's a very real concern. He was on American Airlines fairly recently. It's bad enough to be confined like that and now some passengers have become unruly, more so than in the past.

@Silver Lining 

How so?
Do you mean those who refuse to  keep their masks on  throughout  the flight, or those  being just plain obnoxious in other ways?

"Staying safe by staying home"

~Put food in front of me, and I will eat it.~