Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

My guess is it is either that or bankruptcy.

Honestly, you're so close anyway, I don't think a middle seat matters much.  

My rant was not about middle seats. It was why does the airline make their rules( to avoid bankruptcy) and the restaruant or bar or fittness center or salon have to follow the rules regardless of the impact on the business. 

Respected Contributor

My bottom line .. if the plane takes off and lands safely .. I don't

care where they seat me .....

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

My guess is it is either that or bankruptcy.

Honestly, you're so close anyway, I don't think a middle seat matters much.  

My rant was not about middle seats. It was why does the airline make their rules( to avoid bankruptcy) and the restaruant or bar or fittness center or salon have to follow the rules regardless of the impact on the business. 

@granddi   Because there will always be another place to eat out and work out even in your own home. 

But a world without airlines, until we get that Star Trek transporter thing, is just not feasible or acceptable.  

Honored Contributor

I am cancelling my flights.  Yes a middle seat made all the difference.  Half the time a person is in my lap, no way

Honored Contributor

Re: Airline Middle Seats

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

@germanshepherdlove wrote:

I have also read that the airline industry has gone to great lengths to make sure the air you and their employees breathe is clean by using the latest in hepa filters.  It has been further stated that the air is cleaner than what you are breathing in your home.  

Unrelated to that, a 50ish doctor who recently flew and wore a face mask but no eye protection got covid.  He stated that as a runner every day for years it took him down with severe lung issues that he continues to have despite now being covid-19 negative.  He goes on to say that his mistake was not wearing eye protection while on that flight. 

So if the air is safe and droplets are cleaned away by the hepa flters, how did the runner get Covid through his eyeball?

@Porcelain It takes time for any particulates; fine spray or droplets to get to the air cleaning machines. Until that time there's still things in the air. To envision this, picture spraying your perfume. Press the sprayer and see the spray come out into the air.  Then this  spray has to get to the air cleaning machines before the spray can be cleansed. Additionally, I have no idea what micron size the air cleaners are capable of dealing with. Viruses are incredibly small. You can't even see them with a light microscope, you need an electron microscope to see them. 

There's also spread in restrooms. The virus is found in stool and the cramped bathrooms can cause toilet spray when flushing and to items to be all over the seat, sink, handles, door handles, floor, on your shoes. 

There's also a chance that virus could remain on the outside of the dic's maksk or clothing or shoes and he spread the virus to his nasal passages or mouth when he touched the surfaces.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Airline Middle Seats

[ Edited ]

I don't fly anymore, but when I did, I always got an aisle seat.  I am claustrophobic and there is no way I could handle a window or center seat   I really like flying, and at least an aisle seat gave me a little room to breathe. 

I live close to an airport and love to hear the planes.  Got to see Air Force One come in once.  What a beautiful plane!!

Respected Contributor

Google how many flight attendants have tested positive.  Seems a couple of airlines have better stats than others, but they're all bad.

So, it might not be the person in the middle seat that would infect you, but the stewardess. And, let's hope the pilot isn't experiencing early symptoms of COVID brain fog.  

Keep your feet on the ground, people, unless absolutely necessary. It's bad enough down here. 

Trusted Contributor
No flying coffins for us. Maybe next year at this time, or maybe not. Maybe not ever again. Being over 65 and living in hotspot FL keeps us holed up at home. Grocery and medical appts only. Cannot imagine choosing to use airports, hotels, restrooms, restaurants.
Valued Contributor

Here's some interesting news from Newsy:

The U.S.'s 10 major airlines are thoroughly disinfecting their planes and requiring face masks on board. But only two are checking temperatures. While half ask for health verification before boarding, Newsy discovered they have no legal reinforcement and a passenger can simply lie to get on board anyway. Airlines have policies to try to stop sick passengers from flying, but Newsy found no federal law or regulation stops someone from flying if they know they have the coronavirus — even if they lie about it. Many airlines will ban you if they find out you violated their policies, but there are no fines, no criminal penalties. If an airline finds out someone with the virus did fly with them, the airline reports it to the CDC. The agency says it works with local authorities to contact exposed passengers and crew. Without a federal mandate on health screening, airlines have no idea how many of their passengers may be flying with the coronavirus.

Respected Contributor

The only way I'd fly now is if I grow wings! 

I feel sorry for people who have no choice.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~