Respected Contributor

I just read that airlines have announced that they will no longer operate at reduced capacity including the sale of middle seats.

All seats are for sale.

Do airlines just get to make up their health and safety rules?

Why do other businesses with much less dense customer traffic have the rule of reduced capacity? Who decided that a packed airplane with recirculating air and passagers removing masks to eat and drink, is safer than a full salon or cafe or movie theatre?

And they will wipe down the plane between flights. Well other businesses don't have the option of full capacity with wipe downs. It's reduce capacity or shut down.

What a mess.

Honored Contributor

Re: Airline Middle Seats

[ Edited ]

@granddi wrote:

I just read that airlines have announced that they will no longer operate at reduced capacity including the sale of middle seats.

All seats are for sale.

Why do other businesses with much less dense customer traffic have the rule of reduced capacity? Who decided that a packed airplane with recirculating air and passagers removing masks to eat and drink, is safer than a full salon or cafe or movie theatre?

And they will wipe down the plane between flights. Well other businesses don't have the option of full capacity with wipe downs. It's reduce capacity or shut down.

What a mess.

I agree it's crazy!  Why do some businesses have to follow strict rules of social distancing but the airlines can pack them in as before?!!  I'm afraid to fly now.

Honored Contributor

My guess is it is either that or bankruptcy.

Honestly, you're so close anyway, I don't think a middle seat matters much.  

Respected Contributor

@granddi wrote:

This is the answer, right there.  Any business has this choice, and if they can't do one, they must do the other.    Either way, it's a cost, though.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I have never and would never sit in a middle seat on an airplane.  The thought of it makes my hair curl.  In fact, we are fortunate enough that flying domestically we always fly first class.  I hate strangers sitting so close to me.

Respected Contributor

Re: Airline Middle Seats

[ Edited ]

SOME airlines are selling flights to capacity. SOME. Not all of them. Delta is still blocking seats and reducing cabin capacity.  Reducing capacity is totally up to the airline - there is no FAR requiring them to do anything. The same thing with how they sanitize the aircraft. 

Other than a bottle of water and a package of cookies, there's no food service on domestic flights. None. The only exception is in first class for some longer flights. 

I posted this link in the TRAVEL forum a few days ago. It addresses the old "dirty air" myth: 

https://www.today.com/video/what-delta-is-doing-to-keep-air-passengers-safe-from-coronavirus-8714195... 

I am a regular participant in a forum for frequent flyers. Very few people are traveling right now. I haven't been on an airplane since mid-March and have only managed to pick up 28,000 backside-in-seat miles so far this year. Those that actually do travel, or must travel for some reason are well aware of how each airline is handling things, or how to get the correct info. Saying "I just read" and then throwing out generalities isn't the least bit helpful, IMHO. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@Laura14  Having an empty middle seat IS a BIG deal!  If possible, I would pay extra to have the middle seat empty.  Airlines used to allow it but I think since 9/11 it can't be done.

Honored Contributor

A friend of mine from Colorado flew in to check on her aging mother. She told me they are having fewer flights to save $ so they were crammed in like sardines! She was glad she had a N95 mask, gloves, & goggles.

I saw a story where American Airlines made passengers on a half empty flight who spaced out for safety move back to their original seats. Horrible. 

I won’t be flying anytime soon. 

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50   Do it!  Airlines will sell you two seats.  Couples do it all the time.  

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@Laura14  Having an empty middle seat IS a BIG deal!  If possible, I would pay extra to have the middle seat empty.  Airlines used to allow it but I think since 9/11 it can't be done.

That's absolutely not true. The airlines have complete control over seat maps and can block/unblock seats as they see fit. They will often block entire rows at the back of the coach cabin. Those are used either to try to accomodate family groups or unaccompanied minors. If a passenger who is a "high value customer" has the misfortune of having to be seated in coach, they absolutely will block the seat next to them if space allows. But the first priority is to generate revenue by selling any available seat. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~