Honored Contributor

Have you had any experience with this? It's becoming more popular in our area. A lot of people are opening bedrooms and whole second floors. I guess it's almost like a regular B&B without the complete hot breakfast.

Two young girls bought an apartment, fixed it up, and rent it out. One widow not far from us opened up her second floor. She does not interact much with her guests. Sometimes she doesn't even meet them. She doesn't fix them food, but she will leave snacks and cold breakfast foods out. She is always booked, and she will allow guests, even when she herself is in another state visiting someone! Would you do this? IDK if I could. 

Have you ever stayed at one? I've stayed at B&B's before, but we always had breakfast with our hosts. Aside from the meals, is there much of a difference in how you, as a guest, feel? I'm just curious. I'd never heard much about these before. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Look up all the news stories about crimes associated with air bnb.

Contributor

I live in the San Francisco area - the home of AirBnB.  Lots of controversy politically speaking as hotels feel the rentals are taking business away from them.  So it is highly regulated with constant new rules.  But a wonderful opportunity to see a City from a more intimate viewpoint.

My daughter has a unit she rents and it is great fun to meet people from all over the world.  Just yesterday when I was picking up my grandchildren I met a new couple that had just arrived.  So much fun sharing information back and forth and it is a pleasure to see how happy they are with their little home away from home.  These rentals are here to stay and are a lot more economical than staying in a hotel.  My daughter's unit has an intimate garden, regular size kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and washer/dryer.  Not to mention the opportunity to pet a very friendly dog named Finch who loves everyone!

Honored Contributor
@devalen wrote:

I live in the San Francisco area - the home of AirBnB.  Lots of controversy politically speaking as hotels feel the rentals are taking business away from them.  So it is highly regulated with constant new rules.  But a wonderful opportunity to see a City from a more intimate viewpoint.

My daughter has a unit she rents and it is great fun to meet people from all over the world.  Just yesterday when I was picking up my grandchildren I met a new couple that had just arrived.  So much fun sharing information back and forth and it is a pleasure to see how happy they are with their little home away from home.  These rentals are here to stay and are a lot more economical than staying in a hotel.  My daughter's unit has an intimate garden, regular size kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and washer/dryer.  Not to mention the opportunity to pet a very friendly dog named Finch who loves everyone!

The best part of any B&B.  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

I'd stay in one, but it's very doubtful I'd ever open my house up to paying guests.

I'm sure the cities where they are so popular are very worried.  All the taxes the hotels have to collect pay for lots of tourists services.  What will pay for those services as revenue decreases? Or should I ask who will pay?  Probably not the BnB owners who also are unlikely to pay taxes on their earnings -  and don't kid yourself.  While each person is not earning millions like a big hotel chain, w're talking huge tax dollars, so it's not just hotel execs who are concerned.

Somehow, someone needs to figure out a way to make this work, but right now it's sometimes great for owners and guests, and sometimes every bit as dangerous as calling for Uber or some other taxi service where the drivers are not known to any authority.

Respected Contributor

Hubby wants to try it it, we're thinking San Francisco next April or May.  We've explored the website a bit.  It's popular in this area.  People with rental units are hosting Airbnb travelers and I have not read any stories about safety issues or crimes.  I'm not concerned about safety but I'm more reserved and not as social as hubby.  I like the idea of an economical home-like place to stay but I don't want hosts who will intrude on our privacy and independence.  Which probably doesn't really happen.  I use Uber and Lyft fairly often when just a couple of years ago, I didn't think I would ever do that.  

Valued Contributor

Not investigating the negative side of Airbnb is foolish. But thinking there is no negative side is just plain naive. There are tons of stories of people whose experiences have not been good. Do thorough research first.

Honored Contributor

I don't find the safety/security of Airbnb to be any different than the safety/security of a typical chain hotel or any other legitimate B&B.

There are positives and negatives to all 3 and horror stories with all 3. In fact, right after I had done a lot of traveling, staying in traditional B&Bs in a number of different states about 7 years ago, there was a horrible story about a B&B and that was the last time I stayed in one.

Honestly, I prefer hotels anyway.  I enjoyed the B&B experience in some of the out of the way places I was staying, but not all B&Bs are created equal.

I can't imagine staying at someone's house, in their spare bedroom. I don't even do that with friends and family.  LOL

But I don't feel there's any more danger staying in an airbnb than any other establishment.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Four years after both my parents died, we converted their cottage/home into a B&B.  It is connected to our home by a covered patio.

Because it is a free-standing house, we do not prepare breakfast for guests, but have lots of goodies for them including fresh baked goods, cereals, juices and such.  Many adults prefer NOT having to show up at a specific time for breakfast. 

My husband and I have stayed in a lot of B&Bs and decided we were not the type to sit and have a big meal early in the morning.  We both like quiet at that hour.  Our guests seem to value that same privacy.

Having said all that, I considered registering our place with Air B&B, but decided against it.  While it sounds attractive, the "fun" aspect of having folks stay wears off quickly.  We enjoy having guests, but a one night stay incurs as much cleaning/preparation as a multi-night stay.

In a nutshell, it can be a lot of work.  We didn't need the money and I didn't need the extra work!

Honored Contributor

When I was staying in B&Bs, I really like carriage houses or guest houses vs staying in the main house with other guests and the owners.

If it was a large place with lots of rooms and guests, I liked having a group breakfast and talking to everyone from different places.

I met some really wonderful people at those breakfasts that I still remember fondly.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN