Trusted Contributor

Re: Agree or disagree life was easier when young?

@Shorty2U,

I am very sad for all your predicaments however before we also had to worry about many thinks. 

Life was just different and the generational gap was not that deep.

Still a solid moral compass and a clear set of core values always help.

Furthermore Inthink that we have improved in many aspects as well, think about human rights, sanitation, health, scientific and technological progress. In the humanities I admite that the Best philosophers were the ancient Greeks and the best writers also the classics🌻

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3wrote:

@Sweet_Serenitywrote:

The-Twilight-Zone-Walking-Distance.jpgThe-Twilight-Zone-Walking-Distance-2.jpg

Twilight Zone "Walking Distance" 1959 Gig Young and Ron Howard. Premise is desire to return to his youth. What your feeling is understandable. Loss of loved ones happens with age. Sudden death of my Son's Father 62 same experience. Yes deeply disturbing witnessing murder and mayhem. Often we feel powerless to change things. I volunteer in the community. Many people as well the local animal shelters need help. Benefits are numerous. Meditation helps me release stress focus on positive energy. Thank you for sharing.  Praying for you.⚘

One of the all-time best Twilight Zones, @Sweet_Serenity. I was briefly related to Gig Young when he married my cousin. We met once. He was a very troubled man, but wow, what a performance.

Opening narration

Martin Sloan, age thirty-six. Occupation: vice-president, ad agency, in charge of media. This is not just a Sunday drive for Martin Sloan. He perhaps doesn't know it at the time, but it's an exodus. Somewhere up the road he's looking for sanity. And somewhere up the road, he'll find something else.

Plot

While driving his car in the countryside (c. 1959), thirty-six-year-old advertising executive Martin Sloan stops to have his car serviced at a gas station within walking distance of his hometown, named Homewood. After walking into town, he sees that it apparently has not changed since he was a boy. He visits the town drugstore and he soon discovers that it is the year 1934.

Martin walks to the park where he is startled to see himself as a young boy. Following his younger self home, he meets his parents as they were in his childhood. Confused and worried, Martin wanders around town and ends up at his former home again later that evening, where he again tries to convince his parents who he is, but is turned away.

Martin wanders back to the park and finds his tween self on a carousel, and tries to tell him to enjoy his boyhood while it lasts. His advances scare young Martin, who falls off the merry-go-round and injures his leg. After twelve-year-old Martin is carried away, adult Martin is confronted by his father who, having seen the documents and money with future dates on them in the mature Martin Sloan's lost wallet, now believes his story. Martin's dad advises his son that everyone has his time and that instead of looking behind him, he should look ahead, because as delightful and rewarding as he may remember childhood to be, adulthood holds its own delights and rewards.

When Martin walks back into the drugstore, he finds himself back in the 1959 Homewood, during the afternoon. He discovers that he now has a limp from the carousel injury, having unknowingly caused his younger self to fall off and injure his leg which in turn has given the adult Martin a limp. Martin makes his way back to the gas station. He picks up his car and drives away, for once, content to live his life in his own age group.

Closing narration

Martin Sloan, age thirty-six, vice-president in charge of media. Successful in most things but not in the one effort that all men try at some time in their lives—trying to go home again. And also like all men perhaps there'll be an occasion, maybe a summer night sometime, when he'll look up from what he's doing and listen to the distant music of a calliope, and hear the voices and the laughter of the people and the places of his past. And perhaps across his mind there'll flit a little errant wish, that a man might not have to become old, never outgrow the parks and the merry-go-rounds of his youth. And he'll smile then too because he'll know it is just an errant wish, some wisp of memory not too important really, some laughing ghosts that cross a man's mind, that are a part of the Twilight Zon

Gig Young was alcoholic. In the end killed both himself and wife. History of (Twilight Zone) points out the episode as brilliant departure from the usual. Thank you for taking the time uploading this classic masterpiece.⚘

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenitywrote:

@suzyQ3wrote:

@Sweet_Serenitywrote:

The-Twilight-Zone-Walking-Distance.jpgThe-Twilight-Zone-Walking-Distance-2.jpg

Twilight Zone "Walking Distance" 1959 Gig Young and Ron Howard. Premise is desire to return to his youth. What your feeling is understandable. Loss of loved ones happens with age. Sudden death of my Son's Father 62 same experience. Yes deeply disturbing witnessing murder and mayhem. Often we feel powerless to change things. I volunteer in the community. Many people as well the local animal shelters need help. Benefits are numerous. Meditation helps me release stress focus on positive energy. Thank you for sharing.  Praying for you.⚘

One of the all-time best Twilight Zones, @Sweet_Serenity. I was briefly related to Gig Young when he married my cousin. We met once. He was a very troubled man, but wow, what a performance.

Opening narration

Martin Sloan, age thirty-six. Occupation: vice-president, ad agency, in charge of media. This is not just a Sunday drive for Martin Sloan. He perhaps doesn't know it at the time, but it's an exodus. Somewhere up the road he's looking for sanity. And somewhere up the road, he'll find something else.

Plot

While driving his car in the countryside (c. 1959), thirty-six-year-old advertising executive Martin Sloan stops to have his car serviced at a gas station within walking distance of his hometown, named Homewood. After walking into town, he sees that it apparently has not changed since he was a boy. He visits the town drugstore and he soon discovers that it is the year 1934.

Martin walks to the park where he is startled to see himself as a young boy. Following his younger self home, he meets his parents as they were in his childhood. Confused and worried, Martin wanders around town and ends up at his former home again later that evening, where he again tries to convince his parents who he is, but is turned away.

Martin wanders back to the park and finds his tween self on a carousel, and tries to tell him to enjoy his boyhood while it lasts. His advances scare young Martin, who falls off the merry-go-round and injures his leg. After twelve-year-old Martin is carried away, adult Martin is confronted by his father who, having seen the documents and money with future dates on them in the mature Martin Sloan's lost wallet, now believes his story. Martin's dad advises his son that everyone has his time and that instead of looking behind him, he should look ahead, because as delightful and rewarding as he may remember childhood to be, adulthood holds its own delights and rewards.

When Martin walks back into the drugstore, he finds himself back in the 1959 Homewood, during the afternoon. He discovers that he now has a limp from the carousel injury, having unknowingly caused his younger self to fall off and injure his leg which in turn has given the adult Martin a limp. Martin makes his way back to the gas station. He picks up his car and drives away, for once, content to live his life in his own age group.

Closing narration

Martin Sloan, age thirty-six, vice-president in charge of media. Successful in most things but not in the one effort that all men try at some time in their lives—trying to go home again. And also like all men perhaps there'll be an occasion, maybe a summer night sometime, when he'll look up from what he's doing and listen to the distant music of a calliope, and hear the voices and the laughter of the people and the places of his past. And perhaps across his mind there'll flit a little errant wish, that a man might not have to become old, never outgrow the parks and the merry-go-rounds of his youth. And he'll smile then too because he'll know it is just an errant wish, some wisp of memory not too important really, some laughing ghosts that cross a man's mind, that are a part of the Twilight Zon

Gig Young was alcoholic. In the end killed both himself and wife. History of (Twilight Zone) points out the episode as brilliant departure from the usual. Thank you for taking the time uploading this classic masterpiece.⚘

@Sweet_Serenity, yes, I know. Just to be clear, that wife was not my cousin.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Yes, Figured possibly they married earlier. Tragic ending. RIP ⚘

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the replies, insight and wisdom. I know people had bad times in various stages of their lives so I guess it wasn't easy for everyone at certain ages.

I just remember my childhood being care free.

I think all these calls of bad news got to me because they all came one after the other. Of course there are more days to feel blessed, than there are bad days.

I always try to remember what my dad said about worrying but it never seems to work. Maybe I should try the meditation since i  tend to get anxious evey time something "bad" happens.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shorty2Uwrote:

Thank you for the replies, insight and wisdom. I know people had bad times in various stages of their lives so I guess it wasn't easy for everyone at certain ages.

I just remember my childhood being care free.

I think all these calls of bad news got to me because they all came one after the other. Of course there are more days to feel blessed, than there are bad days.

I always try to remember what my dad said about worrying but it never seems to work. Maybe I should try the meditation since i  tend to get anxious evey time something "bad" happens.

Natural especially as you say, your childhood experience was happy. Why not meditate on that. Make your surroundings comfortable, Soothing music, candles. Closing your eyes, beginning with breathing slower allowing the flow of warmth enter every part of your body. You see where I'm going. Meditation is a tool. Make it whatever you want. YouTube various techniques. Blessings⚘