Respected Contributor

Re: Agree or disagree life was easier when young?

I agree that life was easier when I was young. As a child of the fifties and sixties life was good to me. My parents married later and I have one brother. I had a stay at home Mom. We had everything we needed not everything we wanted. My father worked very hard. His work was always labores. I feel blessed to have had those years to look back on. I have had numerous health problems but I am still kicking. Our sons and grandchildren are doing well. My husband is the best. Health problems and losing dear family and friends are part of life. We are all blessed to be here and give each other HOPE. 

Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U

I'm so sorry for all the rain in your life right now. And the loss of loved ones, friends and beloved pets hurts so deeply. I hope it all slows down for you soon.

As far as life being easier when young, well, I suppose that is different for everyone, as we all have different life experiences. 

I spend my whole life (till I was 18) knowing my dad was sick and dying (Lupus and he lived longer than his initial diagnosis, but died at 45 when I was 18). I felt the stress of my parent's life, trying to make a living and him failing more every year ( I was a very sensitive child, and very aware of what was going on). So in some ways, that part of my life was not easy, as I internalized a lot of my parent's stress, especially as I got older and in my teens. 

My adult life has been easier in many ways, and I sometimes think it is because I was 'baptized by fire' early on, and got a real understanding of how unfair and fragile life can be, saw how it can be gotten through, that regardless, life does go on, etc. 

Perhaps I've been lucky (well, I know I have) in adulthood. I have been reasonably healthy as has my mom, my brother and his family, my husband, and my son. We have not suffered financial disaster that we couldn't work our way up and out of. We have had work whenever we needed and wanted it (sometimes it was multiple jobs or not jobs we really wanted, but we had it), we have had decent housing, good food, good health insurance, good friends and the love of extended family. 

I don't know for sure if it is the way we look at what we live/go through, but I see a lot of people who seem to suffer a lot of loss and hardship, but truly still feel they are the lucky ones. 

A positive grateful attitude even in difficult times seems to maybe put things into perspective and color the way we handle and accept and work through the rough spots.

Honored Contributor

Looking back, as a child, life was more simple. 

We weren't 'racing around' here and there.

Not tons of gadgets to distract us.

I don't recall stressful environmental subject matter.

'However':  Lots of stress re: having to spend hours and hours of time at the larger main library and 'copy' various information(s) for various assignments.  Hours and hours of homework. Information was not at our fingertips.  We had very strict teachers, and they demanded absolute perfection.  That, to me, was very, very stressful. 

'All in all', though, we felt 'safe' during my childhood days.  No wars at that specific time. 

The only kidnapping that was mentioned, say, only once a year or so was the Lindberg baby kidnapping.  I remember my mom and dad shaking their heads in genuine sorrow over that kidnapping.  Otherwise, nothing to worry about (in our minds) regarding walking blocks and blocks to elementary school. 

'Lets see'.......... I'll probably think of other things later on this evening.  Both good and bad. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

p.s.  I forgot to mention that we (children) seemed to get along so very well.  Very blended environment.  We learned so much from one another.  That was one of the most important situations in my lifetime.  Getting along with everyone and our individual beliefs/customs from A to Z.  I still live in that type of environment, thank goodness. 

No matter what's going on these days, we easily manage to get along, so far. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

life was easier when I was younger. all i really had to do was go to school and try to keep on the good side of my parents which was hard, never knew which way the wind was blowing with them.

Esteemed Contributor

For me personally, adult life has been easier than childhood. It's just a roll of the dice, but I had a sad and worry-filled childhood that I would not want to re-visit. Stayed hopeful I could set and meet personal goals that put me on a better adult path. Forever grateful. It's true there are more rings in my tree now and more family to care and be concerned about -- more friends passing. It's part of the aging progression. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

I had a wonderful childhood. Grew up in a large family with loving parents. We didn’t have a ton of money, Dad worked hard, long hours. Mom was a sahm.  There was food on the table and clothes on our backs. Not a lot of frills. I knew from a young age that money was short and that saving it was important. 

Because my parents’ relationship was based on love and respect, my brothers, sister and I had a stable home life. For us it just came down to that. I did nothing to deserve it, I was lucky to be born into it. 

So, yeah, life was easier back then. But you learn to weather life’s storms. What choice do we have?  

Honored Contributor

No it wasn't easier.  It was different and each age has its challenges.

Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenitywrote:

The-Twilight-Zone-Walking-Distance.jpgThe-Twilight-Zone-Walking-Distance-2.jpg

Twilight Zone "Walking Distance" 1959 Gig Young and Ron Howard. Premise is desire to return to his youth. What your feeling is understandable. Loss of loved ones happens with age. Sudden death of my Son's Father 62 same experience. Yes deeply disturbing witnessing murder and mayhem. Often we feel powerless to change things. I volunteer in the community. Many people as well the local animal shelters need help. Benefits are numerous. Meditation helps me release stress focus on positive energy. Thank you for sharing.  Praying for you.⚘

One of the all-time best Twilight Zones, @Sweet_Serenity. I was briefly related to Gig Young when he married my cousin. We met once. He was a very troubled man, but wow, what a performance.

Opening narration

Martin Sloan, age thirty-six. Occupation: vice-president, ad agency, in charge of media. This is not just a Sunday drive for Martin Sloan. He perhaps doesn't know it at the time, but it's an exodus. Somewhere up the road he's looking for sanity. And somewhere up the road, he'll find something else.

Plot

While driving his car in the countryside (c. 1959), thirty-six-year-old advertising executive Martin Sloan stops to have his car serviced at a gas station within walking distance of his hometown, named Homewood. After walking into town, he sees that it apparently has not changed since he was a boy. He visits the town drugstore and he soon discovers that it is the year 1934.

Martin walks to the park where he is startled to see himself as a young boy. Following his younger self home, he meets his parents as they were in his childhood. Confused and worried, Martin wanders around town and ends up at his former home again later that evening, where he again tries to convince his parents who he is, but is turned away.

Martin wanders back to the park and finds his tween self on a carousel, and tries to tell him to enjoy his boyhood while it lasts. His advances scare young Martin, who falls off the merry-go-round and injures his leg. After twelve-year-old Martin is carried away, adult Martin is confronted by his father who, having seen the documents and money with future dates on them in the mature Martin Sloan's lost wallet, now believes his story. Martin's dad advises his son that everyone has his time and that instead of looking behind him, he should look ahead, because as delightful and rewarding as he may remember childhood to be, adulthood holds its own delights and rewards.

When Martin walks back into the drugstore, he finds himself back in the 1959 Homewood, during the afternoon. He discovers that he now has a limp from the carousel injury, having unknowingly caused his younger self to fall off and injure his leg which in turn has given the adult Martin a limp. Martin makes his way back to the gas station. He picks up his car and drives away, for once, content to live his life in his own age group.

Closing narration

Martin Sloan, age thirty-six, vice-president in charge of media. Successful in most things but not in the one effort that all men try at some time in their lives—trying to go home again. And also like all men perhaps there'll be an occasion, maybe a summer night sometime, when he'll look up from what he's doing and listen to the distant music of a calliope, and hear the voices and the laughter of the people and the places of his past. And perhaps across his mind there'll flit a little errant wish, that a man might not have to become old, never outgrow the parks and the merry-go-rounds of his youth. And he'll smile then too because he'll know it is just an errant wish, some wisp of memory not too important really, some laughing ghosts that cross a man's mind, that are a part of the Twilight Zon

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I would not want to go back. My childhood was not simple nor full of hazy, lazy days. It was complicated, confusing, and often horribly frightening.

My best wishes to you, @Shorty2U, that all works out well.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland