Honored Contributor

Re: Agree or disagree life was easier when young?

I am sorry Shorty. Sometimes when it rains it pours.

My life is a thousand times easier now. My childhood was difficult and painful. After years of a lot of heartache, I have finally reached a place of peace and no longer question why me. 

Honored Contributor

It was easier when I was younger.  NO real responsibility for a child compared to an adult.

Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U, I'm sorry you've encountered so much this week for you and loved ones.  That's the way life is and maybe it would help you to use the mantra your father gave you.  You see, I'm a worry wort and he is absolutely right!!! 

Respected Contributor

@OKPrincesswrote:

It seems life was easier because our parents did the worrying about our safety, sickness, car troubles, etc. But things were happening. The 60’s brought three horrible assassinations, riots but then the moon landing. Now we are the parents and worry for our children, their families, their pets, etc. I could write a book.

@OKPrincess

I agree with you.

I was a child of the 50s and remember air raid drills in school.  I wanted my father to build a fallout shelter. I also remember toying with the idea of not doing homework during the Cuban Missile Crisis.  I was sure we would not live long.

Being an adult is not easy.  All of us have dealt with death, sickness, and life's general crises.

Honored Contributor

@lulu1wrote:

@OKPrincesswrote:

It seems life was easier because our parents did the worrying about our safety, sickness, car troubles, etc. But things were happening. The 60’s brought three horrible assassinations, riots but then the moon landing. Now we are the parents and worry for our children, their families, their pets, etc. I could write a book.

@OKPrincess

I agree with you.

I was a child of the 50s and remember air raid drills in school.  I wanted my father to build a fallout shelter. I also remember toying with the idea of not doing homework during the Cuban Missile Crisis.  I was sure we would not live long.

Being an adult is not easy.  All of us have dealt with death, sickness, and life's general crises.

I forgot about drills in school but now that you mention it we had to go out into the hall, sit with legs folded and put hands over the back of our head. 

@lulu1

Honored Contributor

Disagree 100%.

Honored Contributor

I don't think we can really generalize that kind of statement.

Each individual life and time of their lives is unique to each person/child.

And like others have said, there are times or days that are very hard or decades that are better or worse than others.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U, not for me but I can see why you say this.  Most kids have an easy life because they have parents that take care of them.  I had a horrible childhood so I can't say it was easier.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

I think life is much easier now that I'm older.  

Trusted Contributor

I am so sorry, @Shorty2U for all you have to deal with at once. Can understand exactly why you are feeling this way. Anyone would be overwhelmed with so much on their plate.

For me, a few things were absolutely more simple when I was young, but I wouldn't say "better" as times were hard in our family. 

The only way in which I can definitely say they WERE better is health-wise for myself. Disabilities bring unforeseen challenges that I never imagined in my youth. Still, my life now.. including the many losses and sorrows is one of blessings, too. Grew stronger in my faith, as my body continues to weaken. Have enduring friendships and a very small family who loves and cares for me. Have all the creature comforts I need, though my budget is meek. 

Nothing much shocks or even surprises me anymore, and I've come to accept that this life is a journey full of hard lessons, as well as ceaseless wonders. A real mixed bag! 

Hope things get better for you and yours very soon. Bringing back some balance to your days ahead. ❤️