Honored Contributor

Re: Agree or disagree life was easier when young?

When we were young, I think life was just the same but being kids we didn't know or were hidden from all that was going on. But I do agree in todays world a lot has changed that we didn't have to deal with years ago. Beind an adult just isn't that easy.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U

Life isn’t easy at any age.

I wouldn’t ever want to be young again. The wisdom I have now, the relationship I have with God, the faith that has grown over years... Those things have come with age. 

Honored Contributor

It seems life was easier because our parents did the worrying about our safety, sickness, car troubles, etc. But things were happening. The 60’s brought three horrible assassinations, riots but then the moon landing. Now we are the parents and worry for our children, their families, their pets, etc. I could write a book.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

It's always greener when looking at the other side....or back.  

I didn't know my parents were dirt poor.  I didn't know they struggled to put food on the table.  I didn't know that a relative paid the tuition so we could go to a private school.  I didn't know that buying school supplies every year wiped them out.  I didn't know they cried at night worrying about paying bills and feeding us kids.  Mom worked evenings and Dad was home for a number of years.  Dad went to school nights to get his Masters (2 degrees, he taught middle & high school).   We didn't have a lot of what other kids had but I don't rememeber really caring.  

But I had a good childhood.  I'm the oldest of 7 kids and we always had fun together.  I remember playing with friends - there were lots of kids in the neighborhood.  I was loved. I remember picking up babysitting jobs in the neighborhood to make "my own" money (I was lucky to get $.25/hr back then).   I remember emphasis on learning and being able to think through something to make a good decision.  I remember so many things that were wonderful.

Would I go back?  The only reason I'd go back is to get another hug from Mom.  She passed Thanksgiving week and I miss her more than words can say.  

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart Ohhhh I'm so sorry you lost your mother...it's awful pain that never ends.

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

This hill we go up when young is many, many years long...40, 50+...many years....compared to coming down is like 10-20....if that. Like sliding down a greased hill side. Whoa...

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Trusted Contributor

Good Sunday Morning to All!! First of all, I'm so sorry for all that you have on your plate, @Shorty2U, that's a lot to handle & I sure hope things get better for you & your's! I also wish the best for those going through similar situations. To answer, YES LIFE WAS SO MUCH EASIER, OMG! Some days I find myself just reflecting on my life as a carefree very young person & how easy everything seemed to be! I think back to my worry-free days & I feel like I didn't even appreciate them, but took them for granted! I wish I could go back & do so many things over, only getting it right this time, but that's not going to happen, so for today, I will be the best person I can be & try not to stay stuck on stupid so I won't have as many regrets in the future as I do now regarding the past. Best wishes to everyone, you are all such kind & beautiful people!Heart

Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U  I have to disagree.... I think it is all relative whatever age you are... my childhood had many very sad and bad time... along with good times... as my adult hood life has also had bad and good... I try to focus on the good. Not the bad. I think if you focus on the bad you bring that into your life. 

Honored Contributor

Disagree.  At my current age I have a wealth of information to make my life "easier".  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shorty2U

Answer depends on your life as a youth. My mother raised myself, and my 3 older sisters by herself. I remember little about my sperm donor dad(?), but heard enough from my sisters to know he was a drunk that like to hit his wife and his kids.

I was born in Public Housing Projects, and lived there until I was 14. At age 7 I really understood the suffering my mother went through, in almost a daily basis, to make enough money to pay the rent and buy food. I decided then to walk around the streets within a mile of our Projects Apartment, picking up pop bottles and returning them to our store for $.05 cents a piece.

At 8 years old I got a paper route to help make money to help my mothers. All of my older sisters also had jobs at early ages, for the same reasons. I remember my mother saying that if she made over $23 per week, we would be kicked out of the projects. That applied to only her income, not what her kids worked for at jobs. I worried about having no home much of the time.

That is how I lived my youth, which was far from easy, quite the contrary. Don't remember many times after age 8 whete I wasn't doing something to try to make money to help my mother, same with my older sisters. I saw nothing easy in any of our lives, especially our mother's.

What I see now? What used to be special things in life, now seem to be necessities for many. Unless one lives in a poor inner city area, chances are slim they can truly know that type of life? Read it/hear it, watch it on TV? You know nothing about day to day life of some of those people's lives.

You asked and I once again shared some of the stories of my youth. Easier going to school starting at 12 years old and working 3 week nights, and Sunday nights, till 12:30am and getting home at 1:30?  Not the norm then, and less the norm now?  

ETA:  My wife and I have not have what many would call "an easier life", especially since the year 2002. Health issues primariy and dealing with deaths of family members, and others close to us in our lives. 

To some, others lives are just as challenging, but they are able to live with stress and hardships, without many others knowing about it. Others our more the "oh poor me" type, and many things that to me are minute', are monumental to them. Stressing over things over which they have no control, and doing nothing about things they can control.

Easy now in our "golden years"? We are happy with our lives, but "happy" does not have any correlation to "easy" in my book.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)