Esteemed Contributor

Agree or disagree life was easier when young?

[ Edited ]

Does anyone ever think how much easier life was when we were young and never had to worry about anything? 

This week all this stuff happened in this order.

My friends husband died suddenly of a heart attack (61 yrs old) I cant begin  to tell you how shocked and heartbroken I am for my friend who I know since high school! (and it really put my life in perspective, if that's the right word).

My other friend called me panicking when her husband was rushed to the hospital and couldn't breathe. (they are INseparable and have the love of the couple of the  Notebook movie) Oh the Dr had him on the wrong meds for health problems. Are you kidding me??? (hes been going through tests for months, finally he gets admitted to the hospital and they realize its the meds! Now hes OK so far). 

Our older car didn't pass inspection (frame was totally rusted) and had to be junked (Yes it was old and we still have one car, and intend to get a new one by Fall but we hoped it would last a year yet) I don't work my husband does but we like to have 2 cars living in the country "in case"

Then my daughter calls, her oldest dog died in his sleep. Her, her husband, my 3 grandkids were crying hysterically, I was crying. He was 14 years old but of course our pets are "family"

Today I get a call my 19 yr old granddaughter has flu symptoms and was being taken to the ER. (at this point Im crying because of all the media saying how terrible the flu is!). She was checked for the flu and strep, both negative. But she has a severe upper respiratory infection and is on 3 meds and nose drops. They said to keep watching her because "sometimes" those flu tests are wrong, and if she gets worse, or doesn't get better to get re-checked. SO I HOPE AND PRAY they are right and that she will be OK.(My daughter said she will be watching her like a hawk)

And I have been thinking about the people in the Florida school incident. So tragically sad.

I just keep thinking "over all" when I was a kid I NEVER worried about ANYTHING. Now I do, because it seems when we are older things are happening, that didn't happen then! (Even though things did happen but our parents handled the worrying for us!).

Being an adult is not easy at times, that's all I can say. And I wish I would be like my dad, who would say you cant worry and get yourself sick over things you cant control. But I'm not like him, in that manner I worry about everyone!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Re: Agree or disagree life was easier when young?

I'm sorry about your stressful day. It does seem like trouble comes in waves.
No, I do not believe that life was easier when I was young. I was abused by my stepfather. I also think it's human nature to sometimes remember the past more favorably than it really was. My life is certainly not perfect now but I try to focus on the small moments of joy that are there every day if I take the time to notice. Wishing for you a better day tomorrow.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The-Twilight-Zone-Walking-Distance.jpgThe-Twilight-Zone-Walking-Distance-2.jpg

Twilight Zone "Walking Distance" 1959 Gig Young and Ron Howard. Premise is desire to return to his youth. What your feeling is understandable. Loss of loved ones happens with age. Sudden death of my Son's Father 62 same experience. Yes deeply disturbing witnessing murder and mayhem. Often we feel powerless to change things. I volunteer in the community. Many people as well the local animal shelters need help. Benefits are numerous. Meditation helps me release stress focus on positive energy. Thank you for sharing.  Praying for you.⚘

Respected Contributor

When we are young we are going up the hill....can't see the top at all.........life is full of wonder....then we age and we are at the top of that hill of life and begin our decent down. It's how life works. Things go away and change forever. Youth somehow gives us blinders....we forge ahead w/o a fear in the world....but at some point, our blinders are removed and we see and know and experience there is going to be a real end. It's not pleasant for anyone at certain ages....it brings up all sorts of questions, regrets and doubts...worry too...because we love.

@Shorty2U I think it will be ok....you are human with a loving heart and a loving family around you.... I would give anything to call my mom and cry..about my animals going to heaven.....we talked every single day about 10 times...the silence is deafening to wake up to. Cars are the easy part ... Smiley Happy

Take care.

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

https://youtu.be/Y4EvsN9RuJ0

All I Know.............Heart

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Honored Contributor

After reading about what has happened to you this week, I can understand why you asked the question. Aside from the mayhem in the schools, I'd venture a guess that those other things were happening, but as carefree youngsters, we didn't pay much attention.  Also, we lived at  slower pace (we waited for our favorite TV show to come on, phone calls were made at home, stores were closed on Sunday......).  

Honored Contributor

I've had a really rough start to 2018 too.  I hope things resolve quickly for you.   Heart

I had a very turbulent childhood where most of the adults around me didn't behave appropriately.  I'd never go back. 

At least as an adult myself, I can get away or mitigate some of the bad behavior that still goes on.  Much easier or maybe more control or protection now is the better phrase despite the serious challenges around me.  

Honored Contributor

For me I find life easier now.  I am able to more effectively deal with life's problems, hurts, sorrows and disappointments.   When young, things just go right over your head and things don't bother you in the same way.  I wasn't able to show compassion and empathy because I was too immature and dealt with such things by pushing them aside and living my own life without really acknowledging the problems and sorrows of others.   Looking back I see how disconnected I was with the realities of life and feel badly about how I dealt with a lot of things.  I am able to allow myself to feel things more deeply now but can better accept that life is often hard so I can also be there for those I care about.

Honored Contributor

Beautifully said, @Pook

I can relate to your use of the word "disconnected."  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

I don't think mine was easier at all....but I liked how things were SIMPLER and People looked out for each other back then...