Honored Contributor

Re: Ageing out of Christmas Toys

@JaneMarple wrote:

There is a beautiful photo of Dwayne Johnson "The Rock" playing with his little daughter with a Barbie in his hand a few days ago.

I saw that, love that photo

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I have gotten my 6 year old granddaughter a retired Boyd's Bear still in packaging and tags everyone of her Christmases.  I will continue to do this until I am no longer celebrating the holiday here on earth.  My DDIL puts them up as a collection for her but they are considered Toys.   No age limit should be imposed or implied for any person.. 

I myself a few years back when looking for some "Jacks." I so got the urge for some reason to sweep those up off the kitchen floor with one hand.  However I could not find any.  I do still look from time to time for them.  Just turned 59 on Christmas Eve, so I am not a kid for sure.

@beckyb1012 

While jacks and puzzles may be considered  'toys', playing with them is great for manual dexterity, reaction time, and cognitive skills.

The older we get, the more stimulation helps to keep our minds sharp! 

Yeah, I'm tarp as a shack.   Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I have gotten my 6 year old granddaughter a retired Boyd's Bear still in packaging and tags everyone of her Christmases.  I will continue to do this until I am no longer celebrating the holiday here on earth.  My DDIL puts them up as a collection for her but they are considered Toys.   No age limit should be imposed or implied for any person.. 

I myself a few years back when looking for some "Jacks." I so got the urge for some reason to sweep those up off the kitchen floor with one hand.  However I could not find any.  I do still look from time to time for them.  Just turned 59 on Christmas Eve, so I am not a kid for sure.

@beckyb1012 

While jacks and puzzles may be considered  'toys', playing with them is great for manual dexterity, reaction time, and cognitive skills.

The older we get, the more stimulation helps to keep our minds sharp! 

Yeah, I'm tarp as a shack.   Woman Wink

That is funny @qualitygal makes sitting at my desk waiting impatiently until my mail arrives whenever today bearable.  Five day weekend coming up for the New Year!!  Hopefully I will be sharp come Tues. a.m. Woman LOL

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I think there is a transition period away from certain kinds of toys for children based on their interests and certainly not determined by age. I have a fairly mature 10 year old in my family.  She loves her AG dolls.  She also loves books and advanced puzzles.  Heck! I collect teddy bears and am 73. lol

Honored Contributor

There is no age at which children should not play with toys!  And if there were, it certainly would NOT be 8.  Toys come with age designations and even those are flexible, depending on the kid.  Kids should be allowed to be kids.  

Honored Contributor

I say let them play with their toys as long as they want!

Soon enough, they'll have a cell phone in their hand and that will be the end of that.....

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono -

I wonder if that woman who said that, even has any children and if she does, something is very strange with her thinking.

I think of one of my favorite childrens poem by Robert Lewis Stevenson but really for everyone.

The Swing-

"How would you like to go up in a swing? Up in the sky so blue?

Oh, I do think it the most wonderful thing ever a child could do."

And that's exactly how it should be with "toys" however we define them. I hope we never stop being able to play.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

There is no age limit on playing with toys....amazing anyone would ever think that. The types of toys may change as the age gets older, but toys are fun and let’s hope we never get too old to play...good for our brain and imagination.
Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

I saw a post on FB, where a woman had organized the shared bedroom of her two daughters.  One daughter is 12, and she has a lot of toys, including new ones that she got for Christmas.

One person commented said that children should not be playing with toys after 8 years old.

What do you think? 

Is there an age at which children should stop playing with and asking for toys as holiday presents?

@lolakimono - I think the commenter on the Facebook post is way off base.

We moved when DD was in the middle of first grade. As a teacher I asked the (male) guidance counselor at her elementary school to let me know what he thought after his observations in about 2 weeks. He wanted to meet with me two days after she started. I thought that was too soon. Her teacher agreed with me. So I met for our appointment. His comments were, "She dresses and looks old fashioned and she plays with dolls." He went on my black list right away! He actually spent more time telling me about his son who attended a major university.

Of course I ignored him. She did endure some teasing and later some bullying. But she also found friends who also enjoyed Barbies and American Girl dolls. In 5th grade she was attending American Girl tea parties. 

We are a family who has always enjoyed board games. The "toys" may have changed now that they're adults, but then I still play too! My makeup is like coloring. I play "dress up" when I put outfits together. DH has lots of toys!

I had a friend who moved a while back. She has a PhD in microbiology and she has one son. If you went into her and her husband's bedroom you would see dolls in the corner. And she would change their outfits once in a while. She loved to show DD her dolls!

We're never too old for toys- how boring! And how sad for any parent to set an age limit without a good reason.   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@liliblu wrote:

download.jpg

Your kitty looks a lot like my Socks.  

@liliblu 

Sending a big hug to your kitty, Socks....Cat Very Happy

Im glad you like the kitty, it's not mine though, it was just an image that went along with the story on toys...The kitty in the photo does look like a cat my sister had that passed away after a long and happy life... My real cats are 2 Tuxedo cats, the one in my avatar is one of my mone...sorry for the confusion...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”