Honored Contributor

Re: Ageing out of Christmas Toys

I think people should parent their own kids, and not worry about what other parents are doing. And stop being self appointed parenting experts, issuing their edicts from on high.

The amount of what is mostly Mom shaming these days is unbelievable. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

What does the commentator want 8 year olds to be doing instead? Working the fields? Sounds like someone who was brought up with a lot of hardship and I feel sorry for them.

I say it's important to never stop playing, at least a little, in your free time. People who stop playing at all as they grow older forget how to have fun. Without fun, what's the point of all the unfun things we have to do every day?

Toys change form over time, but I'd say we all have our versions of grown up toys. And there's no reason to be even slightly ashamed of enjoying them.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

there is NO age.......that was a strange fb comment, especially if it was a friend of hers.

I agree that it's a very strange and not very nice comment...some adults like to play with toys.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:
At 12 years old, my bedroom was my responsibility to clean and organize. Mom painted the walls and waxed the tile floor, but she did not clean my room, change my sheets, make my bed, or put my laundry away.

At 65 years old I'm still coloring and playing jacks.

My mom is 94 and I just sent her some puzzles, a pretty colored pencil set & some coloring books.

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I have gotten my 6 year old granddaughter a retired Boyd's Bear still in packaging and tags everyone of her Christmases.  I will continue to do this until I am no longer celebrating the holiday here on earth.  My DDIL puts them up as a collection for her but they are considered Toys.   No age limit should be imposed or implied for any person.. 

I myself a few years back when looking for some "Jacks." I so got the urge for some reason to sweep those up off the kitchen floor with one hand.  However I could not find any.  I do still look from time to time for them.  Just turned 59 on Christmas Eve, so I am not a kid for sure.

@beckyb1012 

While jacks and puzzles may be considered  'toys', playing with them is great for manual dexterity, reaction time, and cognitive skills.

The older we get, the more stimulation helps to keep our minds sharp! 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Kids grow up way too fast these days. I'm almost 60 and I played with toys and dolls into the 7th grade. I know not many kids do that today, but I think it's great if they are encouraged to do so and allowed to grow up at their own pace, not what society sets out as a time frame.

Super Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I have gotten my 6 year old granddaughter a retired Boyd's Bear still in packaging and tags everyone of her Christmases.  I will continue to do this until I am no longer celebrating the holiday here on earth.  My DDIL puts them up as a collection for her but they are considered Toys.   No age limit should be imposed or implied for any person.. 

I myself a few years back when looking for some "Jacks." I so got the urge for some reason to sweep those up off the kitchen floor with one hand.  However I could not find any.  I do still look from time to time for them.  Just turned 59 on Christmas Eve, so I am not a kid for sure.

Amazon has Jacks. I think I may order some because as a kid I would play until I had a blister on my little finger. Thanks for the memories.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

download.jpg

Your kitty looks a lot like my Socks.  

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@beckyb1012 

While jacks and puzzles may be considered  'toys', playing with them is great for manual dexterity, reaction time, and cognitive skills.

The older we get, the more stimulation helps to keep our minds sharp! 

We will play "Jacks" in between our shots of "Jacks" @KingstonsMom HeartWoman Wink

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 

That's a deal, GF! LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.