Respected Contributor

Re: Ageing out of Christmas Toys

And that is why you should not put your whole life on Facebook. Silly comment. 

Respected Contributor

No, there is no age.  My daughter is 15 and still enjoys building Legos.  She builds the Creator sets that has thousands of pieces and has been since an early age.  She doesn't "play" with the sets, she just likes building them.  My husband, 58, is all about the toys....Legos, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Pinball machine, etc.  He's been collecting comic books, baseball cards and many other things for over 40 years.  And, me, I like dolls.  Always have.  My husband buys me the doll of the year from American Girl every year.  It's ageless.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So many things that are on social media that pose as "THE ULTIMATE AUTHORITY" on a topic arent necessarily true or even valid, and you can find an equal number of opposing  viewpoints on the same topic......

Personally I think the non-electronic toys help to stimulate the mind, the imagination and creative juices....... there should be no age limit.....A child's interest in the type of toys will change with age....

And what's the alternative to keep kids occupied???---I guess sit around like a couch potato and text all day?!?!?!?!?

download.jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

And THAT'S why I don't get parenting advice from internet strangers. 

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

I saw a post on FB, where a woman had organized the shared bedroom of her two daughters.  One daughter is 12, and she has a lot of toys, including new ones that she got for Christmas.

One person commented said that children should not be playing with toys after 8 years old.

What do you think? 

Is there an age at which children should stop playing with and asking for toys as holiday presents?

What, exactly, is meant by the word "toy"?

Engaging building materials like Legos aren't the same as stuffed toys.

The child in question may have issues or impairments that make playing with toys, even those made for much younger children, entirely appropriate and constructive for that child.

Esteemed Contributor

That comment on FB has to be one of the dumbest ever. Thousands of reasons why but  enough said by me.

Honored Contributor

I have gotten my 6 year old granddaughter a retired Boyd's Bear still in packaging and tags everyone of her Christmases.  I will continue to do this until I am no longer celebrating the holiday here on earth.  My DDIL puts them up as a collection for her but they are considered Toys.   No age limit should be imposed or implied for any person.. 

I myself a few years back when looking for some "Jacks." I so got the urge for some reason to sweep those up off the kitchen floor with one hand.  However I could not find any.  I do still look from time to time for them.  Just turned 59 on Christmas Eve, so I am not a kid for sure.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

So when a kid turns eight it's Beer Pong and a cigarette? This is why I don't do Facebook.

Honored Contributor

At 12 years old, my bedroom was my responsibility to clean and organize. Mom painted the walls and waxed the tile floor, but she did not clean my room, change my sheets, make my bed, or put my laundry away.

At 65 years old I'm still coloring and playing jacks.
Honored Contributor

I have hobbies, but count my Yorkie as my furry little toy.  Love playing with dogs.   My son is allergic to cats, he has no animals, but his parents.  LOL.