Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: After the virus passes, or for whatever comes after it, has your bucket list changed?

No I don't have a bucket list--but am thinking that this virus way of life is the new way of life from now on. I don't think we will ever go back to those care free days of 2019. Unless we get the right people to make the right decisions, we are in this for many years--sorry to be a negative nellie but that is my oinion. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: After the virus passes, or for whatever comes after it, has your bucket list changed?

Please make a note to see the movie, The Way, that WW suggested.

I keep a bucket list in my head so I can adjust it, when necessary. Happens a lot lately. WW's movie suggestion reminded me of a life experience when I went on a catamaran cruise in Key West, FL, 2005. Hubs and I met a man from Iowa -- about my age now. Just retired. His wife died. She was always close to her son, who came out as gay and moved with partner to FL. Dad stopped talking to his son and resented his wife's continued communications. After beloved wife died, daughter from Iowa begged dad to visit his son. Dad popped into Key West at Thanksgiving, for a few days. Dad surprised himself by falling into son's arms and asking his forgiveness. Said he wanted to love his son, as his wife did, in her absence. His son's new Key West family and nieghbors had a feast to welcome dad. Dad did volunteer work in Key West after going back home, selling his corn field and splitting money between his kids as early inheritance. Dad moved to Key West to make up for lost time. Dad said he had a heart transplant. We all cried at the table. I will always remember his inspiration. And to be honest, this man's story helped give my hubs soft eyes towards relevant social issues. Two heart transplants! 

So - my bucket list is visiting places, narrowing down my volunteer interests, doing things like buying an e-bike but I'd still like a vespa someday. Giving more than I take to family and friends. Being kind to strangers. Leaving the world better than I find it. 

My sis-in-law, uber 'tea party' in every way, told me yesterday to stop talking politics on FB, that silence was golden. I said some kindly but well-worded things back to her. My hubs - her brother - laughed. I said things he couldn't. . . Now I'm inspired more than ever never to try to silence anyone's voice. Added that to my bucket list.

Sorry so lengthy. Have a beautiful weekend. Sunshine here after 4 days of rain. Stay safe if you're in the path of the hurricane.         

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal   The last news I heard was yesterday and it was that there is probably not going to be an “after the virus.” Unless there is a very unexpected change, I won’t be interested in making any trips anywhere. This has killed any interest I had in going anywhere. 

Before all this happened, one thing I wanted to do was take a 1-2 week road trip alone but I hadn’t figured out where I’d go yet. Lots of great places to choose from.

- I am not a fan of bucket lists. This is not part of one.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Everything on my bucket list I have accomplished.  Now living life one day at a time.

The last thing on my bucket list was that I took care of making a Last Will and Testament.   My affairs are in order and I am at peace with myself.   

I am afraid Covid-19 is here to stay, and could take you at any time.   Young or old.  With or without any underlying medical conditions.  I believe the virus will kill over 500,000 Americans by year end. 

Good luck with your bucket list.  Peace be with you.   🙏

Stay safe. Stay home.”

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't have a bucket list but after retirement I wanted to travel more since I had the time for long vacations.....I've been lucky and have seen what I wanted to see and done what I wanted to do.  It's been rough here in NJ and my wish list is simple.....I see Transiberian Orchestra with my adult niece every year for a very long time.....it isn't Christmas without them.....I just hope I get to go this year 

Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:

I didn't have a bucket list but after retirement I wanted to travel more since I had the time for long vacations.....I've been lucky and have seen what I wanted to see and done what I wanted to do.  It's been rough here in NJ and my wish list is simple.....I see Transiberian Orchestra with my adult niece every year for a very long time.....it isn't Christmas without them.....I just hope I get to go this year 

What a lovely aspiration. My bucket list last year focused on a music activity that I was doing for the first time in my life, and I turned out to be the oldest participant. Well worth the effort.

I LOVE the transiberian Orchestra Christmas programs too. Hope yo get to enjoy every minute!

Respected Contributor

We hope to spend more time with our son and grandkids.  He spent most time at work and with his crazy wife age 23-38.  Now he is retired and starting over with a new young wife, new house, and even a new golden pup.

We are more a part of his life now and wish to continue that.  We live in MI and CT and hope our states stay good with Covid.  We love our govs.

Honored Contributor

No bucket list for me, past or future.
Honored Contributor

I've never really sat down and contemplated a bucket list. I think it might just depress me more. But I can say that travel would be wonderful. My husband wants to go to Africa again. I would, too, although I did become quite ill on our trip last year.

My druthers would be Europe. I'm also fascinated by China, Japan, and the Middle East, but my chances for those trips are probably next to nil.

Also prominent for me would be to compile my poetry and somehow see it get published. I could almost face death then.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Yes, it has changed.  I never had a big list to begin with. Since I'm getting a bit older with a few health issues, I don't desire to stray as far away from home. The list now is very simple and things I might be able to do given the right circumstances. 

See a play when it comes to town ( like Phantom of the Opera) more picnics by the water, more walks along a wooded path,  maybe a few concerts,  visiting state parks, a week at a rented cottage, seeing Noah's Ark in Kentucky (my neighbors say it's great).....just little things are big things to me now.