Esteemed Contributor

Once the flood waters receede in Huston, there will be much clean up to do.

I feel for those who don't have flood insurance because even with that insurance, it is costly to tear everything down to the studs, and to rebuild.

The emotional trauma of this will last long after Harvey is gone.

Honored Contributor

You've got to wonder how organized relief efforts might be.  Does FEMA even still exist or has it been eliminated?   We may be ill-prepared for a disaster of this magnitude. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

The head person on FEMA was on the television this AM and he said they were ready and funded. 

Honored Contributor

@conlt wrote:

The head person on FEMA was on the television this AM and he said they were ready and funded. 

Good to hear.  I lived in Houston almost 35 years and during that time we had some scares but no real hurricane.  I feel for the people who live in East Texas and especially the Houston area. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

The country will come together and help those who need it.It has been my experience since we moved to the USA that in times of disaster there is more generosity than anywhere else in the world.No matter where people stand they do believe in helping when there is need.

Honored Contributor

I have friends who just lost everything in Port Lavaca. They were not there when Harvey roared through but are now taking shelter in San Antonio which is still bad but not devastated like the coastal cities. 

Meteorologists are STUNNED at the amounts of water on the ground. "Epic" , "catastrophic" and "historical" are some of the words used describe it.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2

I shouldn't be harsh, but why do people stay after they are warned to leave.

Katrina brought to bear the disadvantages of staying for days/weeks in an area with no power or fresh water.

???

DD has friends in the H area who could have afforded to leave. We don't understand.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2

I shouldn't be harsh, but why do people stay after they are warned to leave.

Katrina brought to bear the disadvantages of staying for days/weeks in an area with no power or fresh water.

???

DD has friends in the H area who could have afforded to leave. We don't understand.

@LTT1

I can only guess that for some, they don't leave because they don't want to leave their pets behind, while others may not believe that the storm is going to be as bad as they say its going to be.

Others may be afraid of their homes being looted while they are gone.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I have friends who just lost everything in Port Lavaca. They were not there when Harvey roared through but are now taking shelter in San Antonio which is still bad but not devastated like the coastal cities. 

Meteorologists are STUNNED at the amounts of water on the ground. "Epic" , "catastrophic" and "historical" are some of the words used describe it.

@SilleeMee  I'm so sorry for your friends. 

San Antonio has always opened up shelters to evacuees; during Katrina SA was in no danger  but this time Harvey was forecasted to do some major damage to this city.   Yet SA still stepped up to the plate.

SA dodged a major bullet with this one.  Of course there is flooding throughout but nothing like Houston.  Power outages were scattered but not too bad.

Even the winds were nowhere near the forecasts.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

IMG_0055.JPG

posted on FB by DBIL along with a smart-Alec comment. His son and grandsons are safe but in H.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~