Respected Contributor

Re: After reading another post I began wondering ...

Good thought but not something most people will accept or eat. Sure, they will nicely say "thank you", some at least. With so many special diet restrictions today, I say forget it. Don't waste your time. Those days are gone.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I haven't an issue with those who are concerned with eating home cooked food.

I do have an issue with dishonesty and deception. If you mislead others, especially kind thoughtful others, into thinking their gifts of food are wanted, appreciated, you will receive more. You lie to them while actually seeing it as garbage worthy and think or yourself as kind because they'll  never know.

Is cheating as long as they'll never know kind?

Wouldn't  you rather be hurt with the truth than disrespected with a lie?

@occasionalrain  I prefer cash.Woman LOL

But to your point-let's face it.  It's not like a person is giving a whole bakery worth of goodies. 

One would not know one is being "disrespected with a lie".  How would you?

We go around every year with this issue and quite frankly it's a stretch to get into being hurt by the truth instead of being disrepected with a lie.

A stretch in the land of morals over cookies.

(I'd like your opinion on Million Things when you have a chance)

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Mary Bailey wrote:

I don't eat homemade food gifts. 

I've seen some scary things in home kitchens and (lack of hygiene) with co-workers when in the office.

so, No

@Mary Bailey   Especially when a co-worker is eating her sandwich while on the toilet and then walking out without washing hands.

Enough said.

@Cakers3   EKKK!    I've seen no hand washing and other things I won't mention.

Honored Contributor

Not if it had raisins.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

I do have an issue with dishonesty and deception. If you mislead others, especially kind thoughtful others, into thinking their gifts of food are wanted, appreciated, you will receive more. You lie to them while actually seeing it as garbage worthy and think or yourself as kind because they'll  never know.

No, I wouldn't want someone to tell me after I went thru the trouble of making a special gift to be bluntly told "no thank you, I don't eat homemade food from others." That is cruel, insensitive, mean.

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Not if it had raisins.

Or things that appear to be raisins.

Respected Contributor

I agree with most here - I have never been a fan of homemade goodies.  I don't give them.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

If you feel home baked gifts dangerous than politely refuse them. Throwing out food on which a friend or neighbor has spent time and money is disgraceful. 

@occasionalrain 

i feel the same......and it is even worse if you allow it to happen year after year without saying something to the person who went through all the trouble to make it for you.

anything we do not eat or like we share at work.......and it is gone within hours.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I would only eat it if it came from a close relative or a very close friend.  If I've been in the person's home, know their habits and been in their kitchen.  Otherwise, I toss homemade foods.  

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

We've had this conversation so many times here, over the years.   I have to say that reading this here today, and I'm sure you've expressed this POV here before, it really struck a chord with me for the first time.

I've been one of the ones who will graciously accept the gift of food even knowing there's not a chance in hell I'd end up eating it, because it seemed like the right thing to do.  I'm like that with manners.

But this time you made me see it exactly as I think you mean it and it's not being rude to the person, like I probably thought.   It's just a more meaningful kindness not to mention the fact that food isn't being wasted.

I HATE waste, so it's always been the dichotomy between graciously accepting so as to not hurt the person's feelings and the final end which includes waste.    Then, like you say, people will keep bringing you those gifts.

I'm sure you didn't mean to be rude to the person.  But the kind of hidden impropriety of making them think one thing is happening when it's the exact opposite to accept and trash the gift.

I just felt I needed to say that.  Those who know me know that I am honest.    I say the stuff I mean or I keep my trap shut.  Smiley Happy  I don't know why I saw beyond my own POV on this today, but I did.   Thanks.