Honored Contributor

Re: After reading another post I began wondering ...

We do not eat homemade food gifts.  Nor do we give them.

Anything purchased in original wrapping will be donated, not thrown out.

I do bake my Christmas bread but DS and family receive those.

Simply put, I don't know how sanitary a kitchen is or if hands are washed, etc.  This is not about COVID-19, either.

I attended a Christmas swap onetime and somebody received a tin of homemade cookies only to find cat (dog?) hair in it.  At the bottom of the tin.

I don't need a jar of nuts, I don't need the pretzel/M&M mix, I don't need a plate of cookies, and I hate fruitcake.

If anything escapes my understanding of a swap, it is the cookie swap.

Kitchen grinch?  Yes.  I make no apology for it either.

Those who partake, enjoy.  I make no assumption for anybody else.

HO-HO-HO

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

That's a hard one.

If you were my daughter or niece or sister-in-law I would eat it.

If it was coming from my mother-in-law or a neighbor I would not.

Super Contributor

This year I thought about baking breads or cookies as food gifts but thought others might feel weird about eating it. I decided to buy individual Mrs. Prindables apples to give to the ladies I Zoom with. I am going to make dog biscuits and kitty treats for all the pets that belong to the ladies in my group. Christmas means baking to me, so this year it's all about finding a new way to enjoy doing it!
Esteemed Contributor

I don't eat homemade food gifts. 

I've seen some scary things in home kitchens and (lack of hygiene) with co-workers when in the office.

so, No

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do my best to give food gifts back to the giver, but if that's not possible, out they go unless they're commerical products in sealed containers. Putting aside questions of whether good food handling practices were employed, there are people I know who'd source the ingredients for a trail mix from surplus stores that sell salvaged goods and expired products. It's fine for them, but I wouldn't go near any of it.

I see trail mix as particularly tricky because of allergies to nuts and the sulfites commonly used to preserve dried fruits.

Homemade food gifts may be fine within families (except mine), but I don't think they're a wise choice for not-close friends, co-workers, neighbors, fellow parishioners, service providers, etc. 

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

I don't eat homemade food gifts. 

I've seen some scary things in home kitchens and (lack of hygiene) with co-workers when in the office.

so, No

@Mary Bailey   Especially when a co-worker is eating her sandwich while on the toilet and then walking out without washing hands.

Enough said.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I’m still baking this year, but I’m only sharing with family who don’t live with me. They definitely still want some goodies even though we’re not all getting together in one house. I usually bake cookies and give them to everyone I know. I’m just assuming most people might not want home baked goods this year. I have read, however, that transmission from food is rare. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shy bobcat 

@tucsongal 

i would totally appreciate and eat the gift you are thinking of giving. i would also share it with my family.

yes, we have had some very heated discussions regarding gifts of food, especially homemade foods, and i would NEVER think of tossing something out that someone took the time to make.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

The only food gifts I've given are fruit baskets I've ordered for my in-laws which is what they enjoy.

Honored Contributor

I haven't an issue with those who are concerned with eating home cooked food.

I do have an issue with dishonesty and deception. If you mislead others, especially kind thoughtful others, into thinking their gifts of food are wanted, appreciated, you will receive more. You lie to them while actually seeing it as garbage worthy and think or yourself as kind because they'll  never know.

Is cheating as long as they'll never know kind?

Wouldn't  you rather be hurt with the truth than disrespected with a lie?