Esteemed Contributor

Re: After reading another post I began wondering ...

There is no evidence that Covid is spread by homemade food. The only reason I can see people refusing gifts like that is because of possible food allergies, NOT Covid! 

I also think that accepting food gifts and tossing them is a bit rude. Just tell the person that it's thoughtful of them, but you're sensitvie to that kind of food. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@shy bobcat ---i might do that for only very close friends that know you well and that you know well. I worked at a preschool as an teachers aid for many years and was always given home made food items and I never kept  or tasted them at all. Just didn't know them well enough to chance it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I appreciate the thoughtfulness of those who have gifted me baked goods over the years but I'm not a big sweets/dessert/bread person and most of the time, they get tossed.  I do take them to work or to family dinners, etc. to try to get rid of them but, in reality, there is usually soooo much food and sweets that they go untouched and nobody wants to take them home.  If I did enjoy those items, COVID wouldn't stop me from partaking....as long as I know the gifter has a clean kitchen, etc.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva 

I made sure everyone in my circle knew I wasn't accepting homemade goodies, nor did I offer any.  As I said, with cats, I knew others would likely not want to accept them.

Nothing was thrown out by me as I just didn't accept it.

I guess if someone INSISTS you take the goods, then they were warned.

Esteemed Contributor

@shy bobcat 

Just thought of something funny and wanted to mention it to you.

My sis is a nurse in a NJ hospital and she bakes/cooks all the time.  Any leftovers go to work and are put in the "break room."

She tells me that nothing is ever left but crumbs.  She has taken whole hams, turkeys, cakes, pies, cookies, and anything else that is leftover at home.

They eat it all...So, not everyone is all that concerned about the germs.

For myself, I prefer to fix my own food.  It has nothing to do with Covid, but I am just a squeamish person.  Don't like eating out for THAT reason alone!

Honored Contributor

I was re-thinking food gifts for 3 people this year, but they have already let me know they're still expecting their bags of treats.  

Honored Contributor

Toss it.  Too many variables to take a chance.

Honored Contributor

TOSS IT!  I normally do that.  

I think food gifts are a terrible idea.  People give me fudge, I don't like it.  I shouldn't have to hurt their feelings and say I don't like it, so I act happy.

People give me sweets and if I ate them, I'd have to forgo stuff I really want and like. 

I would never give a food gift unless specifically asked for  it.  Especially not in this day, and especially if your feelings are hurt if they don't eat it. And especially if you are going to ask how they like it. 

Honored Contributor

@shy bobcat - That is so sweet of you! You said it all in your posts - that key word "friends"! My friends and I give each other food gifts all of the time, and I'm sure we will again this year, especially with all of us home and cooking more. My very close friend is an amazing baker! She is always putting something in our mailbox, then telling me to check it!

Give your friends your trail mix blend. They can enjoy it while watching holiday shows!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I don't eat any homemade food gifts and I sure wouldn't start this year with Covid. 

I throw them out.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?