Honored Contributor

Re: After reading another post I began wondering ...

shy bobcat,

I really dislike wasting food, but I have to admit I toss homemade food gifts from others -- certainly now, in the time of COVID -- but I did with many food gifts before this period, too.

My guideline is always "better safe than sorry."  I practice this with aged items in my fridge or cupboard as well.  If I have a question mark lingering over my head about a product, I toss it.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Sorry but I just don't understand throwing away food because of COVID.  If any of us were going to get COVID from food or touching of objects - every single one of us would have it from the grocery store. 

There have been tons of reports that cooked food does not carry the virus and all of the extra cleaning and disinfecting of purchases is unnecessary.

My MIL told me a story that her mother would not buy items from Bake Sales (this is in the 40's mind you) saying that she did not know the person's kitchen.  using this mind set I understand why some have always thrown away food gifts received during the holidays.

These days I would think that getting a food item from a Friend or Family member would be appreciated.  How are the food gifts you are creating any different from making a Christmas meal for a family member and leaving it on the porch or really those that you order and send to someone?

Respected Contributor

It might be better to reconsider your gift thought.

Esteemed Contributor

I always graciously accept the homemade item and I genuinely thank them. After they leave it goes right in the garbage. I am not being mean I just don't know what ingredients are in it. I worked at a school and the principal told all the parent no handmade anything as gifts or brought into classrooms. 

Honored Contributor

If you feel home baked gifts dangerous than politely refuse them. Throwing out food on which a friend or neighbor has spent time and money is disgraceful. 

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

If you feel home baked gifts dangerous than politely refuse them. Throwing out food on which a friend or neighbor has spent time and money is disgraceful. 

@occasionalrain  I agree with this. Just refuse them. My BIL won't eat anything like that either. One Christmas his son brought in the house a plateful of cookies from his friends Mom. BIL said I won't eat those. I sat there and ate them. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd graciously accept the gift and toss it.

I was watching the news this morning and they showed something about Dairy Queen and the ones making stuff weren't wearing gloves.  I told my husband, "Now see why I don't care to eat out, some where down the line someone has to not be wearing gloves." 

@shy bobcat sorry this is some what off topic but homemade made me think of the news.  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@shy bobcat   This is my personal opinion.  I think food gifts are a NO.  My neighbor always brings me cookies and bread she made... I do not eat cookies and bread.. so they go in the garbage.  I take it out of love... and feel so guilty about tossing it out.

I would say pass on the home baked and make things especially now. 

Honored Contributor

I do not understand why someone wouldn't tell a person that they do not wish to receive homemade baked goods or food gifts year after year.  That seems incredibly rude to me to toss stuff in the trash when the person puts time, effort and money into making these items. 

Why can't you politely tell someone that you really appreciate the thoughtfulness but that you cannot eat that type of food, etc.      

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I do not understand why someone wouldn't tell a person that they do not wish to receive homemade baked goods or food gifts year after year.  That seems incredibly rude to me to toss stuff in the trash when the person puts time, effort and money into making these items. 

Why can't you politely tell someone that you really appreciate the thoughtfulness but that you cannot eat that type of food, etc.      

My SIL knows I am a Type 1 diabetic and for years gifted me cakes, pies and homemade fudge. Early in our marriage, I told her I couldn't eat any of it and every year like clockwork, the desserts would come. She used to tell me, "We all die someday,why not enjoy the ride." LOL