Highlighted
Valued Contributor

After reading another post I began wondering ...

I had planned on making a nut/trail mix blend and putting it in containers for friends.

Would you eat a food gift like this or toss it?

I may need to rethink some gifts!

Respected Contributor

Re: After reading another post I began wondering ...

I didn’t realize how many people tossed food gifts until a thread about this here a couple years ago. I think it would be fine for close friends however. 

Respected Contributor

@shy bobcat 

I'm sorry, but I would toss it. Not only because of Covid, but there may be something in the mix I am allergic to. Many people have known and unknown allergies. I also would not make them for others.  That just might be me. Would you eat it if someone gave to you? That's the answer I would go by.

Honored Contributor

I have given out food gifts here on my floor at my office and to the mailman for the past 23 years.  Not this year, I have already placed my order at Nothing Bundt Cakes for my gift giving.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@shy bobcat 

I think the days of that kind thing are, sadly, over.

I've never been all that crazy about sharing food to begin with and, having cats, I knew people might be squeamish about being gifted anything I might bake.

So, I never did.

Everyone I know talked about tossing food gifts, so I encouraged others not to give me anything edible.  

Respected Contributor

Used to spend days baking but this year resorted to sees candies.

Respected Contributor

I usually only gift food I have made to a couple of close relatives who request it.  My BIL's ask for my fruitcake each year, so I make it for them (one just called me munching it to say thanks and he loves it lol!).  I sometimes make goodies for my siblings who live nearby....they know I am clean and careful, so eat the stuff with no worries!

If I am gifted homemade goodies I will eat if I know it came from someone who keeps a clean kitchen and has good hygiene!  If those things are unknown, I toss.

Respected Contributor

Just like any other gift, it's the thought that counts and is their choice what to do with it so do whatever you feel to do. 

Honored Contributor

Every Christmas I normally gave several food gifts, often individually wrapped candy.

But this year I'm not giving food gifts of any kind to anyone.

Just my choice.  

Esteemed Contributor

My family has always been welcoming for alien germs.  Never saw a food offering go to waste.  Although we did agree that some were not the best cooks 🤣