Esteemed Contributor

Re: After ‘The Biggest Loser'

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

Semantics to sell more books & the like.

Clearly his WOE doesn't work.  He says so.

LCHF doesn't work...the diet he promotes doesn't work.

Wow.  And people buy into this. 

LOTS of holes in his theory about obesity & diabetes.

The only way to reverse diabetes/obesity/heart disease, etc., is plant based, whole food, low fat.

Reverse heart disease? Unikely, the heart is a very unforgiving muscle. You can do the things referenced so your heart functions better, but heart disease is heart disease. A few drs talk about getting your ldl really low (under 65) to potentially clear blockages, but there isn't clear research supporting this.

And yes,I'm personally living this.

Respected Contributor

It's all about life style change, that's why I like weight watchers. I lost 54 lbs and kept it off for 3 years. I did gain a few pounds recently because of having major surgery so I got my bum right back to my meetings. 

It is sad they gained it all back and then some. 

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

The only way to reverse diabetes/obesity/heart disease, etc., is plant based, whole food, low fat.

Reverse heart disease? Unikely, the heart is a very unforgiving muscle. You can do the things referenced so your heart functions better, but heart disease is heart disease. A few drs talk about getting your ldl really low (under 65) to potentially clear blockages, but there isn't clear research supporting this.

Heart disease can be reversed by eating the correct diet.

Once the dietary fats are reduced, the blood moves quicker w/ less effort.  Circulation improves.  Blood pressure drops, angina pains reduced, edema reduces....and, for the men, erectile dysfunction is the thing of the past.  

Granted, if you have 40yrs of steak/eggs/butter clogging your arteries, it's gonna take more than 1 kale salad to fix 40yrs. We all have a certain % of plaque...but it's the smart ones who are strengthen their endothelium which acts like a little girdle in our arteries, protecting the blood. Anyone, any age, all degrees of heart disease can increase their endothelium.

Even if someone is shrugging their shoulders, hands up in the air, saying 'heart disease is heart disease...nothin' I can do"....that's even MORE of a reason to adopt a LFWHPB diet. 

Consistency pays off when it comes w/ the correct diet & heart disease.  

Honored Contributor

There is a good post about this (Biggest Losers) on the "Refuse to Regain" blog. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Heart disease can be reversed by eating the correct diet.

Once the dietary fats are reduced, the blood moves quicker w/ less effort.  Circulation improves.  Blood pressure drops, angina pains reduced, edema reduces....and, for the men, erectile dysfunction is the thing of the past.  

Granted, if you have 40yrs of steak/eggs/butter clogging your arteries, it's gonna take more than 1 kale salad to fix 40yrs. We all have a certain % of plaque...but it's the smart ones who are strengthen their endothelium which acts like a little girdle in our arteries, protecting the blood. Anyone, any age, all degrees of heart disease can increase their endothelium.

Even if someone is shrugging their shoulders, hands up in the air, saying 'heart disease is heart disease...nothin' I can do"....that's even MORE of a reason to adopt a LFWHPB diet. 

Consistency pays off when it comes w/ the correct diet & heart disease.  

These are all aspects of the heart funcitoning better from doing the right thing (I've lost 75 lbs, my cholesterol is in the 160's, ldl in the 80's) - but the actual heart damage still exists.