Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess do you have a source?

Trusted Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
there is currently a study in progress using UV light to kill the virus...it is put into a tube and inserted into the esophagus...and obliterates the virus immediately. Hope it gets to put into practice soon!

Doesn't sound like fun though, does it!!!! All these ideas make me think of Star Trek and how many of the futuristic things they used are coming to fruition. Think of the light devices those doctors used to "heal". Who knows what people will actually invent in the future! 

KJPA
Trusted Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
there is currently a study in progress using UV light to kill the virus...it is put into a tube and inserted into the esophagus...and obliterates the virus immediately. Hope it gets to put into practice soon!

@lovesrecess   Can you please cite this study?  "Inserting" UV light into the human body sure sounds dangerous.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Trusted Contributor

@KJPA wrote:

@pigletsmom wrote:

Did anyone here talking about this subject actually see the briefing with the scientist who talked about this?

@pigletsmom  My first reply on this thread wasn't about today's briefing but I think others took it for that. I was replying in general to multiple other posts about sunlight, outdoor air, vitamin D, etc. and their effect on viruses and their spread. And it was meant to be generic about viruses, not specifically this new one. And, No, I didn't see the scientist who talked about it (if there was one?)

Yes I know, but it seems the thread evolved inot complaining about stuff from yesterdays briefing and none of it mentioned the actual scientist who brought this topic up in the first place.

They've done studies on different environments on the virus and surfaces. Another thing being missed in this thread, we are talking abot surfaces. He even talked about playground equipment and how the areas where UV rays hit would kill the virus but you have to be careful of the underneath where the sun doesnt hit. 

Respected Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

@KJPA wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@KJPA wrote:

I don't know if it's true but I was told that cold viruses are around all year long but we don't touch our faces as much in warmer weather therefore we don't catch as many colds in warmer weather. This was a discussion last year and not related to this new Coronavirus. 

I believe sunlight kills viruses. That doesn't mean it's easy to "put" sunlight on everything that needs to be cleaned. I just think it's one of nature's cleansers. And it's better for us to spend some time outdoors, if possible.

I also believe viruses cannot spread as easily in open air as they can in enclosed spaces. And vitamin D (as well as other vitamins and minerals) helps humans stay more healthy. There are many sides to staying healthy and some of them are just common sense. 

@KJPA, the amount of UV rays you'd need to kill viruses would be very dangerous to you.

But the suggestion about sunlight was along the lines of maybe we could somehow bring sunlight into our body. :-)

Maybe I should clarify that I'm speaking about viruses in general and about them surviving on their own, in the presence of sunlight. I'm not suggesting that sunlight kills a virus inside your body. Just that it's more difficult to catch the virus while you are outdoors where surfaces are in sunlight. And in circulating, open air. More difficult to spread, not impossible  🌞

This may be an old wives tale, but, I remember growing up we would hang our clothes out on a clothesline to dry because my Mom and Grandma both told me that sunshine was nature's bleach.  Woman Happy

We hung our clothes on the line because the sun took the place of a dryer, which we could not afford.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

Could a New Ultraviolet Technology Fight the Spread of Coronavirus?

Columbia researcher David Brenner believes far-UVC light—safe for humans, but lethal for viruses—could be a ‘game changer.’

A technique that zaps airborne viruses with a narrow-wavelength band of UV light shows promise for curtailing the person-to-person spread of COVID-19 in indoor public places.

The technology, developed by Columbia University’s Center for Radiological Research, uses lamps that emit continuous, low doses of a particular wavelength of ultraviolent light, known as far-UVC, which can kill viruses and bacteria without harming human skin, eyes and other tissues, as is the problem with conventional UV light.

“Far-UVC light has the potential to be a ‘game changer,’” said David Brenner, professor of radiation biophysics and director of the center. “It can be safely used in occupied public spaces, and it kills pathogens in the air before we can breathe them in.”

The research team’s experiments have shown far-UVC effective in eradicating two types of airborne seasonal coronaviruses (the ones that cause coughs and colds). The researchers are now testing the light against the SARS-CoV-2 virus at Columbia in a biosafety laboratory, with encouraging results, Brenner said. 

The team previously found the method effective in inactivating the airborne H1N1 influenza virus, as well as drug-resistant bacteria. And multiple, long-term studies on animals and humans have confirmed that exposure to far-UVC does not cause damage to the skin or eyes.

If widely used in occupied public places, far-UVC technology has the potential to provide a powerful check on future epidemics and pandemics, Brenner said. He added that even when researchers develop a vaccine against the virus that causes COVID, it will not protect against the next novel virus.

“Our system is a low-cost, safe solution to eradicating airborne viruses minutes after they've been breathed, coughed or sneezed into the air,” Brenner said. “Not only does it have the potential to prevent the global spread of the virus that causes COVID-19, but also future novel viruses, as well as more familiar viruses like influenza and measles.”

more at ~news.columbia edu

Trusted Contributor

@MorningLover  But that's not introducing UV light INTO the human body.  That's UV light being used to disinfect the air so to speak.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Respected Contributor

Re: After Corona,then what?

[ Edited ]

Aytu BioScience Signs Exclusive Global License with Cedars-Sinai for Potential Coronavirus Treatment

ENGLEWOOD, CO / April 20, 2020 / Aytu BioScience, Inc., a specialty pharmaceutical company focused on commercializing novel products that address significant patient needs announced today that it has signed an exclusive worldwide license from Cedars-Sinai to develop and commercialize the Healight Platform Technology (“Healight”).

Led by Mark Pimentel, MD, the research team of the Medically Associated Science and Technology (MAST) Program at Cedars-Sinai has been developing the patent-pending Healight platform since 2016 and has produced a growing body of scientific evidence demonstrating pre-clinical safety and effectiveness of the technology as an antiviral and antibacterial treatment.

The Healight technology employs proprietary methods of administering intermittent ultraviolet (UV) A light via a novel endotracheal medical device. Pre-clinical findings indicate the technology’s significant impact on eradicating a wide range of viruses and bacteria, inclusive of coronavirus.

The data have been the basis of discussions with the FDA for a near-term path to enable human use for the potential treatment of coronavirus in intubated patients in the intensive care unit (ICU). Beyond the initial pursuit of a coronavirus ICU indication, additional data suggest broader clinical applications for the technology across a range of viral and bacterial pathogens. This includes bacteria implicated in ventilator associated pneumonia (VAP).

Our team has shown that administering a specific spectrum of UV-A light can eradicate viruses in infected human cells (including coronavirus) and bacteria in the area while preserving healthy cells,” stated Dr. Pimentel of Cedars-Sinai. Ali Rezaie, MD, one of the inventors of this technology states, “Our lab at Cedars-Sinai has extensively studied the effects of this unique technology on bacteria and viruses. Based on our findings we believe this therapeutic approach has the potential to significantly impact the high morbidity and mortality of coronavirus-infected patients and patients infected with other respiratory pathogens. We are looking forward to partnering with Aytu BioScience to move this technology forward for the benefit of patients all over the world.”

Trusted Contributor

@Deree wrote:

@MorningLover  But that's not introducing UV light INTO the human body.  That's UV light being used to disinfect the air so to speak.

It's something called Healight being developed with Cedars-Sinai.

Valued Contributor

"Corona? Like in the beer? Or do you mean COVID 19?